Tim Beckman considering lawsuit against University of Illinois

Folake Osibodu/The Daily Illini

Illinois’ Head Coach Tim Beckman looks up at the scoreboard during the game against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Neb. on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2014. The Illini lost 45-14.

By Michal Dwojak, Staff writer

Tim Beckman might not be done with the University of Illinois.

The former head football coach might be the latest person to file a lawsuit against the University and the athletic department.

After Athletic Director Mike Thomas fired him on Friday, Beckman released a statement to The Associated Press that implied he might sue the University for wrongful termination.

“The fact that the University did not even complete its investigation in this matter is evidence that this entire process was nothing more than a rush to judgment and confirms the University’s abject bad faith,” Beckman said. “Furthermore, the University’s actions today are in violation of the procedures mandated under my employment agreement. As such, I will vigorously defend both my reputation and my legal rights.”

Thomas fired Beckman after he received the preliminary findings of an investigation conducted by external reviewer Franczek Radelet of Chicago. The athletic director said he learned of efforts to deter injury reporting and influence medical decisions to pressure players to avoid or postpone medical treatment and continue playing despite injuries.

Beckman also threatened to take away scholarships during the spring semester of their senior year if players weren’t on the team.

The final findings are yet to be released. Thomas said he couldn’t comment on the ongoing investigation and failed to give more information on when Franczek Radelet would conclude their review.

If Beckman were to sue the University, the school could claim it fired Beckman for cause. In section 4.2.d. of the contract he signed with the University in 2012, the University can fire Beckman for “any serious act of knowing misconduct by Head Coach.” The listed misconducts include “injuring, abusing, or endangering others, which in the sole reasonable judgment of the University substantially impairs Head Coach’s ability to provide effective leadership.”

Beckman’s total compensation was scheduled to be $1.8 million with a base salary of $400,000. He received a $150,000 bonus because he retained his job beyond January 31. Since the University is claiming to have fired him with cause, the University “shall be without liability to the Head Coach, or any other penalty.” Illinois will not be liable of any base salary or any additional compensations that were included in his contract — if they are judged to have fired him with cause.

Beckman and University administration could not be reached for comment with regards to a potential lawsuit.

Thomas and the athletic department respectfully declined to comment on a potential lawsuit.

Friday, when he announced Beckman’s dismissal, he didn’t announce any updates in the women’s basketball and soccer investigations and lawsuits. The women’s basketball investigation found no wrongdoing by the coaching staff in early August. Seven former players filed a $10 million lawsuit against the University, naming head coach Matt Bollant, former assistant coach Matt Divilbiss and Thomas.

Former soccer player Casey Conine filed a lawsuit against the University on June 8 over the mishandling of concussions that she suffered.

“I think the culture in our Division of Intercollegiate Athletics is tremendous,” Thomas said during Friday’s press conference. “I believe in our coaches, staff and student-athletes who come to work every day and participate every day with integrity on their sleeves. It’s all about doing things the right way.”

Despite the findings in the investigation, head football coach Bill Cubit said that he didn’t know about any of the allegations made against Beckman. The head coach said he didn’t think anyone on the staff was guilty of player mistreatment.

“I don’t know that went on, I really don’t,” Cubit said. “That’s why you have trainers … I think all our coaches are educated enough when they should send them (players) there if you suspect anything.”

The Illini start the season Friday night against Kent State.

@mdwojak94