Illinois hockey prepares for tough road test

Eric Cruikshank (15) faces off against Tobias Nasgarde (8) of Lindenwood during the game on February 7, 2015. The Illini lost 4-2.

By Cole Henke

The Illinois hockey team played its first six games against conference opponents at home this season, while Lindenwood played its first six games against conference opponents on the road.

This weekend, the Illini (10-3-1-2) travel to Wentzville, Missouri, to face the Lions (11-6-0).

The games this weekend will be the fifth and sixth at home this season for a Lindenwood team that is undefeated at home.

While the Lions have been strong on their own sheet, the Illini have not fared well on the road this season. The Illini are 3-0-2-1 on the road, losing most recently to Illinois State.

Lindenwood is the No. 2 ranked team in the ACHA, and sits behind Iowa State for second place in the CSCHL. Fabbrini credits the Lions’ success to their depth and coach.

“They are really good. They are ranked No. 2 in the nation for a reason,” Fabbrini said. “They have a lot of players back from a very good team last year, and they are coached by, in my opinion, the best coach in the league, Rick Zombo.”

Zombo is in his fifth season as the Lions’ head coach. In his first year at the helm, Zombo led the Lion’s to the ACHA National Championship game and took them to the semifinals in 2013 and 2014.

Fabbrini’s respect for the Lindenwood head coach comes from Zombo’s days in the NHL. Zombo spent 12 seasons in the NHL — four with the St. Louis Blues and eight with the Detroit Red Wings. He scored 24 career goals and recorded 130 assists in 652 regular season games — he had one goal and 11 assists in 60 playoff games.

Senior John Olen shares Fabbrini’s respect for the the former pro.

“We have always struggled on Lindenwood’s ice during my time here,” Olen said. “Even during the years where they didn’t have as much talent as others, his players still stuck to the system and they are able to still get wins.”

Zombo has a very deep team at his command. The Lions’ have eight players with nine or more points this season, compared to the Illini’s five. Lindenwood has scored 55 goals, but only one player — forward Stephen Bopp — has scored more than nine (10).

Defenseman Brandon Rumble is a player that the Illini are going to keep their eye on this weekend.

Fabbrini said that Rumble, a junior, is “one of the best defensemen in the country, on both sides of the puck.”

Lindenwood likes to get out on open ice and beat their opponents down the ice. Forward Shaunak Pal said the Illini have been working on tightening up and on getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

Olen, while not being 100 percent, is ready to make his first road trip since coming back from a broken ankle. Like the rest of the team, Olen is just looking to keep it simple.

The Illini are prepared for a tough battle in Wentzville. Pal thinks this is the Illini’s toughest road game of the season so far.

“This is going to be a real test for our team,” Pal said. “We are expecting them to come out flying. Everyone wants to beat Illinois. We are every other teams’ biggest game on the schedule. If anyone could get only one win (at home), they would pick us.”

@cole_Henke