Illinois announces partnership with Quicken Loans

Illinois’ Adam Walton (6) attempts to tag out Indiana’s Brad Hartong (25) during the baseball game v. Indiana at Illinois Field on Friday, Apr. 17, 2015. Illinois won 5-1.

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

Illinois Athletics partners with mortgage lender Quicken Loans

The University of Illinois announced Wednesday that it has formed a partnership with Quicken Loans.

Quicken Loans, the nation’s second largest retail mortgage lender, is not wasting any time making its presence known on campus, either. The company will fund a sweepstakes for students to have a chance to win basketball tickets for the 2016-17 season.

Jay Farner, president and chief marketing officer for the now ”proud mortgage partner of Illinois Athletics,” said the new agreement “is all about offering new and engaging opportunities for supporters to rally around the Fighting Illini community and build on its impressive legacy.”

Illinois baseball ranked no. 38 in the nation

The first national rankings from Perfect Game, an amateur scouting source, were announced Wednesday and Illinois Baseball sits at No. 38.

Illinois is coming off a top eight seed in the College World Series, and a loss to eventual national champion Vanderbilt knocked the Illini out in the Super Regional stage.

The Illini are returning shortstop Adam Walton, catcher Jason Goldstein, and Pat McInerney from last years team that posted the best record in program history (50-10-1).

Perfect Game ranked six Big Ten teams in their top 40, with Michigan (No. 23) ranked the highest.

Women’s soccer associate coach named Big Brother of the Year

Illinois women’s soccer associate coach Jeff Freeman was named Big Brother of the Year by the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Champaign County organization.

Freeman was chosen from a pool of over 550 matches in the Champaign County. Freeman has volunteered with the organization over the past three years.

Freeman and his match have now also been nominated for the Big Brother of the Year for the state of Illinois. The association will chose a winner for the state by mid-February, and the winner will then be nominated for Big Brother of the Year at the national level.