Highlighted by Ward, Illinois football represented well in NFL Draft

By Joey Figuerora, Staff Writer

Former Illinois defensive lineman Jihad Ward kept his cellphone close to him Friday night.

The 6-foot-5, 300-pound pass rusher sat on defensive line coach Mike Phair’s couch — the same spot he sat just 24 hours prior — waiting patiently to find out which NFL team would take a chance on his potential in this year’s draft.

His name wasn’t called in the first round Thursday.

But Friday, Ward had his eyes glued to the TV, with his phone sitting on the table directly in front of him. With each second-round choice, Ward saw his name climb up ESPN’s “best available” rankings on the bottom of the screen, and his heart rate climbed right with them.

Twelve picks into the second round, Ward’s eyes shifted from the television screen to the buzz of his phone as he heard his named called in front of the thousands of fans attending the NFL Draft in Chicago.

Then came the tears.

“Once I got that call, I didn’t know what to do except shed a tear,” Ward said.

With the 44th pick, the Oakland Raiders selected Ward, a former JUCO player from Philadelphia who quickly made a name for himself chasing after Big Ten quarterbacks.

Ward ended a two-year draft night drought for Illinois and was the highest Illini drafted since Whitney Mercilus was taken 26th overall in 2012.

“I still can’t believe it,” Ward said shortly after his selection. “It was just hard for me to be good on and off the field since I was a kid, but I learned my lessons, and I’m glad I fought through it. Sometimes you’ve got to go through the worst to get to the great.”

Ward will have the chance to immediately contribute to a Raiders defense that has a nice combination of veterans like Bruce Irvin and young stars like Khalil Mack. Ward said he is excited to go to the West Coast for the first time in his life and will continue to set lofty goals for himself.

“I feel like I have not made it,” Ward said. “That’s the mindset that I’ve got to have. I’m happy I was in the draft, don’t get me wrong, it’s exciting, but now what’s next? I have to play my part and go out there and make the Raiders one of the best defenses in the (league).”

With Ward as the highlight, Illinois football was represented well in this year’s NFL Draft.

Continuing a family affair, offensive lineman Ted Karras was chosen 221st overall by the New England Patriots in the sixth round.

He will be the fifth Karras to play in the NFL — the first since his father in 1987 — and is thrilled to be next in line.

“It’s been my goal since I was a kid,” Karras said. “It’s definitely an honor to me to continue that tradition. It’s a whole new chapter in my life and new chapter in our family’s history.”

Rounding out Illinois’ three draft picks was walk-on safety standout Clayton Fejedelem who was taken by the Cincinnati Bengals in the seventh and final round. With a stellar senior season, Fejedelem vaulted himself from a virtual unknown to a likely special teams contributor in the pros.

Three more Illini were picked up by NFL teams as undrafted free agents. Cornerback V’angelo Bentley will join Karras in New England, wide receiver Gernonimo Allison will go north to play for the Green Bay Packers and running back Josh Ferguson signed with the running-deprived Indianapolis Colts.

Barring roster cuts, Illinois will be represented by 18 players in the upcoming NFL season.

“I’m an Illini for life,” Ward said. “Now it’s time to go on.”