Sedlock named Big Ten Pitcher of the Year

Daily Illini File photo

Illinois junior pitcher Cody Sedlock was announced as the Big Ten Pitcher of the Year and was a unanimous pick for All-Big Ten First Team.

Sedlock led the conference in strikeouts with 116 overall and 75 in Big Ten play with 101 innings pitched.

He becomes the fifth pitcher in Illinois history to earn the honor, and the second consecutive Illinois pitcher to win after Tyler Jay from last year. Sedlock’s signature moment came against Ohio State back in April. The righty pitched for 10.2 innings and pitched 14 strikeouts play against the Buckeyes.

That performance garnered Sedlock the first National Pitcher of the Week award in Illinois history. Sedlock will have one year of eligibility remaining. Sedlock is projected to go high in the draft.

Senior catcher Jason Goldstein was named to the All-Big Ten third team, his third straight All-Big Ten selection. Goldstein, is also one of 10 finalists for the Senior Class Award.

Pitcher Cole Bellair was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman Team. He pitched in 16 games with nine starts, and went 2-3 with a 3.34 ERA.

Senior reliever J.D. Nielsen was Illinois’ Sportsmanship Award nominee. He went 5-1 with a 3.60 ERA in 29 games.
Last season, Illinois had a total of 11 players selected to the All Big-Ten teams. Illinois will not be playing in the postseason, as they failed to qualify for the Big Ten tournament.