Bartsch named Olympic alternate

Michelle Bartsch spikes the ball against Indiana on saturday Nov. 15 at Huff Hall. Erica Magda

Daily Illini FIle Photo

A former Illini athlete was named as an alternate for the Women’s Volleyball team in the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Michelle Bartsch was designated as an alternate for the 12 person roster. Bartsch was one of the eight alternates who will train with the team until the Olympics begin.

“I am honored to be part of the group even with just the possibility of competing for our country,” said Bartsch in a press release. “It is always been a dream of mine to be an Olympian and being so close after a short time with the national team I am excited for my opportunity moving forward to the next Olympic Games.”

Bartsch won a silver medal for the U.S. Women’s National Team at the FIVB World Grand Prix and she played in the final round off the bench against China.

Bartsch played for the Illini from 2008-2011 and was a member of the NCAA tournament team that made it to the national title in 2011. She finished her career seventh on the kills list and 10th on the career digs list.