Illinois women’s basketball signs Lyric Robins

Photo Courtesy of Illinois Athletics

Nancy Fahey is the new head coach for Illini women’s basketball after coaching for 31 years at Washington University in St. Louis.

By Tatiania Perry, Assistant sports editor

Illinois women’s basketball head coach Nancy Fahey announced Lyric Robins as her first signee Thursday.

Robins averaged 11.3 points and 7.0 rebounds per game during her senior season. She was a nominee for the 2017 McDonald’s All-American game.

“We are extremely excited about the addition of Lyric to our Illini family,” Fahey said in a press release. “Her upbeat attitude and positive outlook are contagious, and she possesses a work ethic that will allow her to be successful both in the classroom and on the court. Lyric’s speed and ability to defend multiple positions will be a huge asset to our team.”

The Illini added six freshmen to the roster last season and has continued the trend into the 2017-18 season.

Robins joins three other recruits who had signed under former head coach Matt Bollant: Channise Lewis of Miami, Addaya Moore of Granite City, Illinois, and forward Jnaya Walker of Bolingbrook, Illinois.

Standing at 5-foot-8, Lewis helped lead her high school to three consecutive state championships and is a two-time Class 3A first-team All-State honoree. This helped her earn the No. 77 ESPN recruiting ranking.

Ranked as ESPN’s No. 19 forward, Walker turned down offers from Wisconsin and Nebraska before signing with the Illini. She brings a passing and defensive skillset to Illinois.

According to MaxPreps, Robins is the No. 161 recruit in the country and No. 18 in Texas. She helped lead Plano West High School to a 25-9 record this year and said she is excited to continue her career as an Illini.

“Illinois is a dream come true,” Robins said in a press release. “I get the opportunity to play for coaches who care about the development of the team, as well as about me as an individual. That’s something you can’t find just anywhere.”

@tati_perry14