Illinois Athletics inducts legends into inaugural Hall of Fame class

By Daily Illini sports desk

Fans who attended the Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Saturday saw something that many people probably haven’t seen before. Dick Butkus, one of the most feared linebackers in football history, cried onstage.

Butkus was overcome with emotion in the middle of his acceptance speech, having to rush through his last few words in order to get through them. Reminiscing about his time at Illinois and his role models while at the University was too much for him.

He was one of 28 former Illini greats honored in the inaugural class of the Illinois athletics Hall of Fame.

However, Butkus wasn’t the only one up on the stage who got emotional. Each inductee gave a speech, and ones who have already passed were represented by family members. Almost every one of them stressed how long overdue the Hall of Fame was, and they all thanked Director Josh Whitman for finally bringing them together for it.

Two Illinois basketball legends, Jerry Colangelo and Mannie Jackson, also gave speeches. Colangelo earned all Big Ten honors in 1961 and 1962 and has been named NBA Executive of the Year four times. He currently serves as a special adviser to the Philadelphia 76ers.

“It’s always great to come back; it brings back a lot of memories,” Colangelo said. “My years at Illinois were my formative years and prepared me for the rest of my life.”

Colangelo and his former teammate Jackson spoke to the Illinois basketball team at their practice before the ceremony. Colangelo stressed that their time at Illinois will go quickly, and to make sure they cherish it.

After practice, he said he really likes where the program is at right now, and he has a ton of respect for how Whitman transitioned into his role two years ago.

“One thing that impressed me about (Whitman) is that he did reach out to people (including me),” Colangelo said. “I learned a long time ago that young people coming into a new position should be good listeners. They should tap people that have the experience. Those who have been around can be helpful.”

Jackson came with a different message to the players. His story is a long one. He grew up living in a boxcar in Edwardsville, Illinois. He didn’t attend a formal school until he was 12 years old, but eventually he came to the University of Illinois and had an incredible career. He now owns the Harlem Globetrotters.

He made sure that the players know that this is not about them. It is about the team, and they can only be great if they make those around them great.

Jackson became the first African-American to start and letter in basketball at the University of Illinois. He said he was honored to be part of this group and was happy to be back on campus.

“I come often to campus, but it’s still morphing into something I never imagined,” Jackson said.