Men’s, women’s gymnastics face off in Orange and Blue exhibition

Quentin Shaw

Haylee Roe competes on the beam against Michigan State in Huff Hall on Feb. 17. The men’s and women’s teams competed against each other at Huff Hall on Saturday.

By Satvik Sethia, Staff writer

The Illini were split in two at Huff Hall on Saturday, as the members of the Fighting Illini men’s and women’s gymnastics teams compete in their annual Orange and Blue exhibition.

The judges of the events were student-athletes from other sports, and the audience determined the winner in case of a tie.

The Illini faced their teammates in four rotations, each consisting of five regular events. At the end of the first rotation, the teams were almost neck and neck, but the Orange team dominated the Blue team in the second rotation to win all five events.

Slowly, however, the Blue team caught on and there was a tie with 10 points for each team at the end of the fourth rotation. A stick-off was held to determine the winner, and the orange team emerged victorious.

“I think it was so much fun, to have the teams united, the men and the women, and I think that it was just really great for the community to see the teams working together,” said Nadalie Walsh, head coach of the women’s team.

Autographs, posters and other goodies were given out to the crowd at the end. The teams also continued their toy drive to donate to Toys for Tots. This promotional event helped the freshmen overcome their nerves for their first big meet, and the others to get back into the feel of performing in a big competition. It was a peek into the teams’ preparation and readiness for the upcoming term.

“I think from watching what all the athletes here, what they’re doing in the gym is really paying off. I think not only the men, but also the women, they went out there and they transferred their routines and had a lot of fun,” Walsh said. “That’s really going to be key for both programs to be focused, but also have fun in the moment, because when you’re enjoying the moment, you do better gymnastics.”

The women’s team saw a change in the coaching staff this summer, with head coach Walsh and assistant coach Chris Bogantes coming in from Utah State and assistant coach Ashley Priess-Johnston from the Cincinnati Gymnastics Academy.

“My coaching staff has done a phenomenal job. Chris has worked with me for three years, so it was just a seamless transition, and Ashley joined right into the philosophy perfectly, and she does a phenomenal job with holding the girls accountable, and also being very caring and mentoring to them. The team can see that our chemistry is strong, and it just enhances the team’s ability to do really well,” Walsh said.

Senior Bridget Hodan, a beam and floor specialist who will also be doing vault this season, was one of the veteran gymnasts participating in the event.

“We had an exciting intra-squad meet with the men’s and women’s gymnastics teams and it was awesome; there was so much energy out here. It was great as a senior, seeing my freshmen step up, and be in their first line-ups. Everyone was super positive, and it’s a starting point so we have a lot to build on, but I’m really proud of where this team is right now,” Hodan said.

Hodan, who is one of the team members who has seen and experienced the change in the coaching staff closely, said she was very excited for them.

“They’ve created a lot of change and a really positive environment here. I think the coaching staff has been awesome, and as a team, we’ve really tried to take up everything they’ve instilled in this program.”

The teams had a good start to get them back into gear, and everyone will be expecting a lot from them in the new season.

“I think the event sets them up great [for the upcoming term] because they’re in their home and they got to dominate their house. My team is just really excited, really united, they’re hungry to get started, and I love that. We’re going to do some final finishing touches, and start off strong,” Walsh said.