Illinois beats North Carolina A&T at home, restores winning energy

Freshman+center+Kofi+Cockburn+rises+for+a+layup+during+Illinois+game+against+Old+Dominion+at+the+State+Farm+Center+on+Dec.+14.+Illinois+won+69-55.+Cockburn+scored+a+career-high+26+points+against+North+Carolina+A%26T+on+Dec.+29+at+home.+The+Illini+beat+the+Aggies+Sunday+95-64.+Photo+by+Jonathan+Bonaguro.+

Freshman center Kofi Cockburn rises for a layup during Illinois’ game against Old Dominion at the State Farm Center on Dec. 14. Illinois won 69-55. Cockburn scored a career-high 26 points against North Carolina A&T on Dec. 29 at home. The Illini beat the Aggies Sunday 95-64. Photo by Jonathan Bonaguro.

By Alec Busse, Contributing Writer

Head coach Brad Underwood and the Illini didn’t go into the Holidays on a high note after losing to Missouri in the annual Braggin’ Rights game on Dec. 21. In contrast to a lackluster performance against Mizzou, Underwood’s team came out with lots of energy and looked like the Illini were ready to play on North Carolina A&T Sunday. 

The Aggies hit a couple of open threes in the first half because the Illini were slow to close out, and at one point, A&T shaved Illinois’ lead down to three midway through the first half. However, Illinois responded with a 14-2 run down the stretch to create separation and didn’t look back. 

The Illini made 50% of their shots in the second half to close out a 95-64 victory over the Aggies. 

As the Illini lead continued to grow freshman Kofi Cockburn continued to shine on the offensive end. Cockburn finished with a career-high 26 points on 6-8 shooting from the field. Cockburn continues to impose his will in the paint and appears to have bounced back from his unimpressive performance against Missouri.

Sophomore Ayo Dosunmu welcomed high expectations coming into the 2019 season, making his mantra “Unfinished Business.”

However, Dosunmu didn’t meet expectations throughout the first several games of the season, but Dosunmu was a lone bright spot against Mizzou and had 10 points on Sunday against the Aggies at the half. He continues to excel in transition at getting to the basket and finishing his layups, but his deep shot has started to fall in the last several games, making 4-12 from behind the arc in the last three games. The star sophomore finished with 19 points.

Controlling turnover is something Illinois has struggled with all season. Coming into Sunday’s game with North Carolina A&T, Illinois had an assist-turnover rate of 171-187. When Illinois upset then-ranked No. 5 Michigan at the State Farm Center, the Illini totaled 13 turnovers. On Sunday, Illinois controlled the ball offensively only turning it over nine times, compared to 18 A&T turnovers. Illinois took advantage of carelessness on A&T’s offense, scoring 28 points off turnovers. 

Throughout the first half of the season, Illinois endured frustrating losses to Miami and Missouri and close games to mid-major programs including Grand Canyon and Nicholls State. But Illinois has a chance to write the ship in the second half of the season when Big Ten play starts again in January. 

Illinois travels to No. 14 Michigan State for a matchup with the Spartans at the Breslin Center in East Lansing on Jan. 2. Last season, Underwood notched his signature win over Michigan State at the State Farm Center when the Illini upset the No. 9 Spartans. 

@alec_busse