Dosunmu enters NBA draft

Jonatha

Illinois sophomore Ayo Dosunmu looks to the crowd during the game against March 8. The Illini won 78-76.

By Gabby Hajduk, Sports Editor

Illinois sophomore guard Ayo Dosunmu announced he will enter his name in the 2020 NBA draft via a Twitter post on Wednesday evening. The sophomore; however, has not hired an agent, meaning he has the possibility to return to Illinois for his junior season.

Dos on Twitter: “pic.twitter.com/W8WSa5M1Si / Twitter”

pic.twitter.com/W8WSa5M1Si

Dosunmu follows Illini teammate and Big Ten Freshman of the Year Kofi Cockburn who announced he would be entering his name in the draft on April 7. Dosunmu led the Illini in scoring in his sophomore campaign, averaging 16.6 points per game on 48% shooting from the field. He earned a First Team All-Big Ten selection by the media this season

The Chicago native started 30 games, only missing the loss at Rutgers on Feb. 15 after being injured at the end of the game against Michigan State on Feb. 11. Dosunmu was the Illini’s certified closer and leader, icing games against Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Penn State.

The highly-touted guard came into Champaign with one mission — to return Illinois to the Big Dance. While his “unfinished business” was never completed due to March Madness being canceled this year, the Illini were a lock in the tournament this season.

@gabby_h11