Illinois heads to Minnesota, Indiana for final regular-season meets

Graduate+student+Jonathan+Wells+competes+in+the+100m+hurdles+at+the+Fighting+Illini+Big+Ten+Relays+on+April+23.+The+Illinois+track+and+field+team+will+head+to+Minnesota+and+Indiana+for+their+final+regular-season+meets.+

Cameron Krasucki

Graduate student Jonathan Wells competes in the 100m hurdles at the Fighting Illini Big Ten Relays on April 23. The Illinois track and field team will head to Minnesota and Indiana for their final regular-season meets.

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer

The more you practice and train, the better you become. The men’s and women’s track & field team have had a hard week’s worth of training. Weather advisories can make things very difficult for teams with facilities outside, but this did not stop Illinois, as it crowded the track all week preparing for its meet this weekend.

The Illini will be traveling to Minnesota on Friday for the first time this year for the M City Classic Meet. The team will then split up on Saturday, as a small group of throwers will compete in the Billy Hayes Invite in Bloomington, Indiana, while the rest of the team will stay in Minneapolis for a second day of competition.  

Illinois has spent its entire year breaking records and winning events in every meet it attends. This weekend in Minnesota could see some records broken. 

Chisom Nwoko, Jessica McDowell, Jon Davis, Manning Plater and Jonathan Wells have been competing at high levels since the beginning of the season. With outdoor events opening this year after the pandemic, the Illini are having a historic year.

The track & field team has not traveled to Minnesota this season. With the Big Ten Outdoor Championships in two weeks, the Illini will look to break records and build momentum in their final regular-season meets before the postseason.

@dre2xx