Illini finish 13th at NCAA Columbus Regional

Senior+Tristyn+Nowlin+completes+her+last+first+drive+at+the+NCAA+Columbus+Regional+meet+May+12.+The+Illinois+womens+golf+team+placed+13th+in+the+tournament.+

Photo Courtesy of Fighting Illini Women's Golf Twitter

Senior Tristyn Nowlin completes her last first drive at the NCAA Columbus Regional meet May 12. The Illinois women’s golf team placed 13th in the tournament.

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer

After marching its way into the NCAA Regional tournament each of the four last postseasons, the Illinois women’s golf has seen its season officially come to an end after placing 13th at this year’s NCAA Columbus Regional tournament.

The Illini finished with a total score of 906 (+11) and marked their lowest finish at the NCAA Regional tournament since the 2017 postseason where they finished 11th with a total score of 901 (+37).

Illini junior Crystal Wang tied for 22nd place with a total score of 222 as the team’s leading scorer. Senior Tristyn Nowlin followed right behind her as the Illini’s second leading scorer and tied for 29th place with a total score of 224.

Senior Ali Morallos tied in 45th place for the Illini with her score of 229, and freshman Isabel Sy tied for 73rd place with a score of 234.

The action took place on the Scarlet Course in Columbus, Ohio and featured eighteen teams fighting for a chance to take home one of six advancing spots to the NCAA Championship in Scottsdale, Arizona.

The top three individual golfers from non-advancing teams also will advance to the National Championship tournament on May 21-26 at the Grayhawk Golf Club.

Nationally ranked No. 18 Georgia had three golfers finish in the top five and took home the first-place victory with their total score of 865 (+1). No. 2 Duke and No. 7 Arizona State followed suit and tied for second place with their scores of 880 (+16).

This final postseason tournament marks the end of two accomplished collegiate careers for two Illini seniors. Nowlin, a Richmond, Kentucky native, finishes her Illini career with the second-lowest single-season scoring average in program history at 72.58 and was awarded All-Big Ten honors during every season of her career. 

Morallos, a Long Beach, California native, is also saying goodbye to the Illini after recording the ninth-best single-season stroke average at 74.57 and tying the ninth-best individual round in program history with her score of 67 (-4) at the Coeur d’Alene Resort Collegiate tournament during her freshman year.