Illinois suffer frustrating loss against Xavier

Cameron Krasucki

Forward Lauren Stibich attempts to steal the ball from her opponent during the game against Butler Aug. 29. The Illinois soccer team fell to Xavier University Thursday night 1-2.

By Angelle Cortes, Assistant Sports Editor

Illinois got crushed once again for the third consecutive game against Xavier on a much cooler Thursday night. The Illini put on a great fight to get the equalizer but were unable to capitalize on their chances.

“It’s a disappointing outcome and a disappointing result,” said head coach Janet Rayfield. “Any time you create some of the quality chances you had and don’t put those away it’s frustrating disappointment.”

Rayfield and her team were looking to turn their luck back to winning ways against a team who have gone on an unbeaten run so far. 

The first goal of the game came early in the 11th minute from Ella Rogers. Rogers was given plenty of space right outside the box, and she struck the ball upper left 90. 

Twenty seconds later Illinois almost found the answer. Solid passing from Angie Galo to Kendra Pasuqale to Sydyney Stephens ended with a through ball to Makena Silber, but her one-time shot just went wide of the post. 

Starting the second half one goal down, Illinois kicked it up a gear in their attack because they were determined to get the equalizer. 

However, Xavier was once again first to get a chance on goal. A volley off a cross bounced off the crossbar and Julia Cili was there to get a glove on it before Xavier had a chance to get the rebound. 

In the 49th minute, Pasquale picked the ball off in a great place and used her speed to spin around her defender. Her shot was saved, but Silber was in the perfect place to grab the rebound to equalize the game for her third of the season.  

The Musketeers didn’t let their guard down and pounced within the first five minutes of the goal they took the lead again one minute later. A long ball into the box landed in the path of Chloe Netzel, and she took it straight to goal, putting it past Cili. 

“We scored that goal, and it was a little bit of a sigh of relief that ‘Okay we’re back in this,’” Rayfield said. “In the time we took that deep breath Xavier was able to respond.”    

From the 51st minute on, Illinois kicked up a gear to get their hands on another goal to tie the game. 

Maeve Jones did some trickery on the side and crossed it for Pasquale, but the ball was too quick for her as she launched it up and out of play. 

Ashleigh Lefevre was in the game for 16 minutes, but she added some energy and impact off the bench that got them one step further to scoring. 

Her first chance picked out Hope Breslin right at the box, but unfortunately her shot went wide of the goal. 

Lefevre got her own chance in the 64th minute right in front of goal, but like Breslin her shot was off target as well. 

Chance after chance with great looks on goal Illinois could not finish. By the last 10 minutes, they were more than ever hungry for the tying goal. 

The best chance for the Illini came in the 87th minute as Pasuqale blasted it to the far left post and Breslin’s strong header rattled off the post. 

Three games at home and three losses in a row Illinois have shown that defensively the younger ones in the backline need to work on communication. As for the offense, they need to get more of their shots on target to get some goals. 

“It’s obviously tough, but these next few days we’ll watch film and see what we did good in this game and see where we can improve on and put that into training and hopefully go on the road and get three points,” said Ashley Cathro when talking about the recent losses.  

After a stretch of games at home, Illinois will travel on the road for two games in Ohio before starting Big Ten play against Michigan on Sept. 17. 

@AngelleCortes