Fans return to Huff Hall as Illinois drops matches to No. 11 Washington, Colorado

Photo Courtesy of Craig Pessman/Illinois Athletics

Illinois huddles as a team during the match against Washington on Friday. The Illini fell in both matches, which were part of the Big Ten/Pac-12 Challenge.

By Jackson Janes, Sports Editor

Huff Hall is known for its rowdy crowds, intensity and noise. For almost two years, none of those defining characteristics were present, with matches forced to be played behind closed doors during the spring season.

But, this weekend, fans were finally allowed back in Huff for the first time since 2019, with Illinois taking on No. 11 Washington and Colorado in the Big Ten/Pac-12 Challenge.

“There was a good energy in the gym just to know we have all these people cheering for us,” middle blocker Kennedy Collins said. “I think just having them back was a great energy to add.”

Though the fans made their voices heard this weekend, Illinois fell to No. 11 Washington, 3-1 (15-25, 21-25, 32-30, 21-25), on Friday and lost on Saturday to Colorado, 3-2 (21-25, 18-25, 25-16, 25-22, 16-18).

The Huskies, a 2021 NCAA Final Four team with much of their roster retained, looked commanding early on and, aside from a back-and-forth third set that saw Illinois resiliently battle back from several match points to cut its deficit to 2-1, asserted their dominance from start to finish.

Despite the result, playing a high-caliber opponent early on in the season is a good learning experience, head coach Chris Tamas says, and he is happy with the improvement that he saw despite the circumstances. 

“These tough teams are going to expose what you need to work on,” Tamas said. “I think we knew what they were going to do well, and they did it well, and we’ve gotta be able to handle that. … From last weekend to this weekend, I’m fairly pleased with the progress that I saw. Obviously we wanted to come out with a W but just a little bit short tonight.”

Led by an attack of Marin Grote, Claire Hoffman and Madi Endsley, who all registered double-digit kills, Washington remained in control for most of the match. Ella May Powell, the reigning Pac-12 Setter of the Year, gave the Illini issues at the net all match, as she finished with 37 assists and nine digs.

For Raina Terry, playing in a packed Huff Hall was a first despite already having a season under her belt. But, she looked comfortable and right at home, recording 11 kills and four service aces against a talented Huskie squad.

“Not going to lie, I had butterflies early in the match,” Terry said. “It’s nerve-wracking playing in front of this many people, but I just had to lean on my teammates. Yeah, a lot of momentum came from (getting a kill on the first play of the match), but most of the butterflies were from the fans and the momentum was from my teammates.”

Colorado proved to be another challenge for Illinois, as Leah Clayton and Maya Tabron powered the Buffaloes’ offense and extended their team’s undefeated streak to four matches. The Buffaloes jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead, but the Illini battled back and won the third and fourth sets. The visitors were able to do just enough to edge the hosting Illini, winning a tight fifth set, 18-16.

Though the Illini lost both matches, Tamas is still proud of his squad for continuing to battle after going down 2-0 twice this weekend.

“In all my years here, we’ve never just gone away,” Tamas said. “Obviously we want to start better and be in the mix a little bit sooner, but we’re playing against good teams. … I like that we’re being challenged right now, but we just have to step up to the challenge a little bit sooner.”

Following an impressive opening outing in the Panther Invite that saw her named the weekend’s Most Valuable Player, Collins continued her strong start with 13 kills and three total blocks against Washington on Friday before registering 12 kills and five total blocks.

Megan Cooney also put together a respectable weekend statline, leading the Illini with 14 kills and notching 10 digs on Friday before putting up 15 kills, six blocks, nine digs and four aces. 

“I think our team is still seeing improvements,” Cooney said. “We might’ve lost two matches this weekend, but there were still some major improvements from where we were last weekend even though we got three wins. These were some really great teams that we played this weekend, so (these next three days will be about) just learning how to be one step better.”

Despite falling in both matches this weekend, Tamas says there are a lot of positives to take from a series against two high-quality Pac-12 opponents.

“We learned that we have to get out there just a little bit quicker, and we have to trust ourselves just a little bit better from the get go,” Tamas said.

The Illini return to action next weekend in Omaha, Nebraska, for the Bluejay Invitational. Illinois will play Omaha and Southern Methodist on Friday and host Creighton on Saturday.

@JacksonJanes3