Notes, player grades: Illini struggle to stop pass in first loss of Bielema era

Lanie Hibel

Illinois’ defensive line prepares for a snap during the game against University of Texas at San Antonio at Memorial Stadium. The Illini struggled to contain a potent running back in Sincere McCormick and gave up too many long passing plays to Zakhari Franklin.

By Josh Pietsch, Assistant On-Air Editor

Just one week after an impressive home win over Nebraska to kick off the college football season, the Illini did not look the same on Saturday night, falling at Memorial Stadium to UTSA, 37-30.

In what was probably due to both a rainy day prior to kickoff and playing against a lesser-known team, the crowd was around 10,000 less people than it was last week. But that didn’t mean the atmosphere wasn’t what it needed to be. The student section was near capacity, and the Illini side of the stadium was as full as it was last week.

Although Illini fans brought the energy once again, the team just couldn’t get it done, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Illinois’ secondary gave up multiple big plays, and the offense wasn’t consistent enough, ultimately leading to Bret Bielema’s first loss as head coach.

No BP?… Problem.

Last week, Illinois quarterback Brandon Peters left the game with an injury in the first quarter and was replaced by Art Sikowski, a transfer from Rutgers. Sitkowski played great and did what he needed to do to lead Illinois to a win.

That was not the case against UTSA. Sitkowski did finish with 266 yards and three touchdowns, but the box score doesn’t always tell the full story. Sitkowski missed open guys for different reads on multiple occasions, and the inconsistency killed a couple of drives that could have ended in scores. He also threw the ball 43 times, completing just 22 passes. A completion rate of just over 50% doesn’t cut it in a grinder game like we saw Saturday night.

I’m not saying Sitkowski’s play against Nebraska was a fluke, but last night’s play wasn’t promising for the Illini. Peters was ruled out against UTSA due to his shoulder injury from the week before, and Illinois missed his presence Saturday night. He’s more mobile and has shown to make better reads than Sitkowski did. His status for Saturday’s game at Virginia is unknown, but Illini fans will surely be hoping the see #18 back on the field at Virginia.

Mistakes were killer

Last week, the Illini looked discipled, clean and experienced on both sides of the ball. They didn’t turn the ball over, committed few penalties and only allowed one big-time play on defense.

Not against UTSA.

Illinois allowed a handful of balls thrown 30+ yards to be caught, all leading to scores for the Roadrunners. They also committed seven penalties for 83 yards, compared to UTSA’s three penalties for 21 yards. Oh yeah, and after a nice defensive stance forcing a three-and-out, Illinois’ special teams botched a punt and allowed the Roadrunners to score three more points before the half ended.

Mistakes kill you in football, and Illinois made too many of them. Limiting turnovers and penalties wins you games in football, and Illinois just wasn’t able to do that on Saturday night.

Offense: C+

Meh. 30 points, whoop de doo. It just wasn’t enough, and there were so many chances to score more than three touchdowns.

Chase Brown was ruled out before the game started, but that shouldn’t excuse the lack of consistency in the run game from a deep rushing room like the Illini. They did end up with 129 yards total, with three guys just over 30 yards and another with 26, but that didn’t nearly cut it. One hundred and sixty seven yards was the mark last week, and with an offensive line that’s this good, you should try to always beat the opposing team in the run game. Nope. UTSA rushed for 216 yards. 

I already touched on Art Sitkowski, but the passing game was also just O.K. So many chances to capitalize that were just missed. The receiver group was good again, led by Isaiah Williams and Daniel Barker, but there were some catchable balls that a couple receivers couldn’t hall in. Sitkowski missed throws, Illinois scored 30 again and it just wasn’t enough. When they had a chance to capitalize, it seemed there was always a three and out, and it led to being a touchdown short on Saturday. 

Defense: C-

Both on the line and in the secondary, Illinois’ defense didn’t look nearly as polished as it did against Nebraska. And, unfortunately for them, it was probably the main reason they couldn’t win back-to-back games. 

The big passing plays given up weren’t good at all. In a secondary that usually struggles with giving up balls over the middle, deep balls being a problem on the sidelines can’t be an issue. But it was. Martin and Witherspoon both gave us too many big catches, and it really cost Illinois. 

The defensive line and linebackers weren’t the best either, as the UTSA running game ended with 216 yards and three touchdowns. Sincere McCormick, a second-team All-American, didn’t score a touchdown but still had 117 yards. Brenden Brady also added 67 yards and two touchdowns.

For how well Illinois limited the rush game last week, the Illini couldn’t mirror their success again against a good UTSA rushing group.

Special teams: B-

Let’s start with the good. James McCourt was awesome, as he went 3/3 on field goal attempts, including two from 50+ yards. He’s needed to work on consistency, and that showed on Saturday night. Those field goals from 50+ yards probably would have been good from close to 60, by the way.

Blake Hayes was also great again. Not much to say about him. Continued to pin UTSA deep and didn’t allow good field position all game. Best player on the team and best punter in the country.

This grade would have been an A+ if it weren’t for the punt fumble. Learn to avoid the ball. It cost you at least three points before halftime and was a real momentum changer after a great defensive series. Not saying Illinois would have won if it hadn’t been for the fumble, but it was an enormous difference maker on Saturday.

@JPietsch14