Illinois soccer, Maryland seek first win in conference play in Champaign

Defender+Kendra+Pasquale+sprints+to+the+ball+at+the+game+against+Butler+Aug.+29.+Maryland+is+eager+to+win+against+the+Illini+in+Champaign+on+Sunday+to+comeback+from+past+losses.+

Cameron Krasucki

Defender Kendra Pasquale sprints to the ball at the game against Butler Aug. 29. Maryland is eager to win against the Illini in Champaign on Sunday to comeback from past losses.

By Angelle Cortes, Assistant Sports Editor

Belief, as defined by Merriam-Webster, is “a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing.” 

For Illini soccer, their belief is knowing that the team is capable of being 4-0 at this point of the season. 

“We had the opportunity to win four games, and we didn’t do things that would make a difference in those games,” said head coach Janet Rayfield. “There’s not a game that we don’t believe that we couldn’t have won, so we’ve got to go with the belief we have in ourselves irrespective of the record we have.”

Currently for Illinois, Rayfield says belief is the most important thing for them right now, along with working hard and getting better in the moments that matter. 

“That’s the only path forward for us,” Rayfield said. “We have to look at ourselves in the mirror and fix the things we need to fix, but I think we also have to see the things that we’re doing at this level that give us chances to win games.” 

Four games in the Big Ten and Illinois has suffered four straight losses. 

Is it just a matter of unluckiness losing by one goal for Illinois? Rayfield wouldn’t say so. 

“I’m not one to believe in luck; I think you make your own luck,” Rayfield said. “The game is 90 minutes, not 88 minutes and 30 seconds. I’m not going to call it unlucky, but I think we have yet to put together 90 minutes where there hasn’t been a moment where we’ve made crucial and critical mistakes.” 

Rayfield went on to explain how the team needs to be consistent and better the whole 90 minutes rather than in spurts. 

Thursday night’s game against Northwestern saw nearly the whole 90 minutes go scoreless. But in the 89th minute, the Wildcats were able to get a moment after Maeve Jones went down for a cramp after clearing the ball out for a corner. 

In that moment of Northwestern setting up on the restart, the Wildcats were able to catch a breath and pull off the game-winning goal. Unfortunately, the day after the game, the goal was credited as an own goal by Kendra Pasquale. 

Looking at the opponent, Maryland, it is currently 0-2-2 in the Big Ten, meaning both teams will be going head-to-head for their first three points. 

The Terrapins have suffered losses to both Ohio State and Iowa and tied with Nebraska and Northwestern. 

Sunday’s match will be played at noon central time at Demirjian Park and will be streamed live on Big Ten Network Plus. 

@AngelleCortes