Illinois soccer falls short of comeback, loses 3-2 at Iowa

Sydney Laput

Redshirt Junior Ashley Cathro defends the all during the game against Wisconsin Oct. 8. The Illini fell to Iowa 3-2 on Sunday afternoon.

By Angelle Cortes, Assistant Sports Editor

In April, Meike Ingles delivered the last dagger, scoring the golden goal knocking Illinois out of the Big Ten tournament. On Sunday afternoon, Ingles scored a hat trick and game-winning goal to get Iowa the three points. 

The Hawkeyes started off the first half getting the edge on the attack and blocking off the Illini from getting good looks on goal. 

Illinois’ best chance came in the 15th minute after Kendra Pasquale blasted a powerful shot at goal only to be tipped onto the crossbar for a corner. 

Five minutes before halftime, a steal from Iowa in the run of play put them onto goal. Ingles with the ball dribbled at the net beating Eileen Murphy and then Julia Cili to get the first goal of the game. 

In the second half, Illinois played much better on the attack getting shots off and chances. 

A corner in the 56th minute saw Illinois get the equalizer. Murphy headed the ball from a set into the middle of the box and bounced past some bodies to an open Hope Breslin to nail it into the net. 

Fourteen minutes later, Ingles scored once again. Some quick movement and a give and go gave her a chance to drive the shot into the bottom left corner to get the lead back. 

It didn’t take that long for Illinois to respond once again. In the 73rd minute, Aleah Treiterer was pacing down the right flank and a cross was sent to Sydney Stephens. She was wide open, right on the edge of the six-yard box, and sent a diving header to equal scoring. 

Fifteen minutes left in the game and both Illinois and Iowa were on their heels to defend well, but also get the game-winning goal. 

But it was Iowa who came out to get the goal. Ingles received the ball right on the edge of the penalty box, and, once again, she had a go from distance that ended in the back of the net. 

The Illini had seven minutes to go to get another equalizer but were just short as their chances were saved or went over the net.

@AngelleCortes