Illinois women’s tennis faces strong competition at ITA Midwest Super Regional

Ashley+Yeah+readies+for+her+singles+match+during+the+ITA+Midwest+Super+Regional+Oct.+22-26.+Yeah+fell+in+the+round+of+32+%285-7%2C+4-6%2C+6-4%29+against+Wisconsin+and+Northwestern.+

Photo courtesy of Illinois Women's Tennis Twitter

Ashley Yeah readies for her singles match during the ITA Midwest Super Regional Oct. 22-26. Yeah fell in the round of 32 (5-7, 4-6, 6-4) against Wisconsin and Northwestern.

By James Kim, Contributing Writer

The Illinois women’s tennis competed at the ITA Midwest Super Regional this past weekend in Columbus, hosted by The Ohio State University. The Illini had four singles competitors and three doubles teams participate and faced off against strong opponents. 

The competition began on Friday. In the singles competition, juniors Josie Frazier and Ashley Yeah were eliminated in the round of 32 following tough matches against Wisconsin and Northwestern, respectively. However, sophomore Kate Duong and freshman Megan Heuser both managed to win their first matches against Illinois State and Notre Dame, respectively, to advance to the round of 16 matches on Saturday.

The Illini also competed in doubles matches on Friday. The teams of Treiber/Ferrari and Heuser/Yeah were eliminated from the round of 16 following defeats in their opening matches against Toledo and Michigan, respectively. The duo of Duong/Frazier won their match against DePaul and advanced to the quarterfinals later that day, where they were eliminated by Ohio State.

Play continued on Saturday for Illinois in the singles competition as Kate Duong and Megan Heuser prepared for their matches in the round of 16. Both were eliminated after facing strong competitors from Northwestern and Ohio State. The Illinois women’s tennis team bowed out of the ITA Midwest Super Regional following these matches.

The Illini will be back in action at the Tennessee Hidden Dual in Knoxville, which runs from Friday to Sunday.