Illinois women’s tennis wraps up preseason at Tennessee Hidden Dual

Photo Courtesy of Matt Haufe/Illinois Athletics

Ashley Yeah prepares for an incoming ball during the ITA Midwest Regional at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex in Urbana on Sept. 24. The Illini participated in Tennessee Hidden Dual this weekend in Knoxville, Tennessee.

By James Kim, Staff Writer

The Illinois women’s tennis team got in its final preseason matches of the fall at the Tennessee Hidden Dual in Knoxville this past weekend. The Illini had matches from Thursday until Saturday and came up against the likes of Tennessee, Kentucky and Vanderbilt. Each of these three schools provided the Illini with valuable experience as they continue preparations for the beginning of the regular season in the spring.

Play for the Illini began on Thursday in the doubles competition against Tennessee. It was a difficult afternoon, as strong Tennessee teams swept Illinois, 3-0, defeating the duos of Emily Casati/Kida Ferrari, Josie Frazier/Ashley Yeah and Kate Duong/Kasia Treiber. 

The Illini’s struggles continued later that day in singles play against Kentucky, and by the end of the day, they finished 2-5. Sophomore Kate Duong and junior Ashley Yeah won their matches for the Illini. However, senior Shivani Ingle, juniors Josie Frazier and Emily Casati and freshman Kida Ferrari and Kasia Treiber all suffered defeat to Kentucky.

The second day of action on Friday saw Illinois continue to compete in both doubles and singles play. Illinois had a rough start early on in doubles play, going 0-3 against Vanderbilt. The duos of Frazier/Yeah, Casati/Ferrari and Duong/Treiber all lost their matches against difficult Commodore teams. However, the Illinois women’s doubles teams were able to rebound later in their matches against Kentucky, going 2-1. The Illini duo of Yeah/Casati was defeated, but the teams of Duong/Frazier and Treiber/Ferrari both managed to take down their opponents.

In singles play that same day, Illinois went 0-7. Duong, Yeah, Frazier, Treiber, Ferrari, Ingle and Casati all lost their matches against competitors from Vanderbilt.

Saturday saw the final day of action for Illinois in singles matchups against Tennessee. The Illini made sure to finish the event off on a high note, as they went a strong 4-2 against the Volunteers. Duong and Yeah lost their matches, but Frazier, Treiber, Ferrari and Ingle all topped their opponents. This was an impressive showing from Illinois against a Tennessee side that had recently been crowned champions in the ITA Ohio Valley Regionals singles competition the week prior.

The Tennessee Hidden Dual in Knoxville was the final event of the preseason for the Illinois women’s tennis team. The Illini had previously competed at the ITA Midwest Regionals in Urbana, the Vanderbilt Hidden Dual Invite in Nashville and the ITA Midwest Super Regionals in Columbus. They came up against a variety of different opponents from various schools and gained crucial experience over the course of this fall as they continue to prepare for the start of the 2022 regular season in the spring.

@james_kim15