Illinois women’s basketball falls to Dayton in first game at Daytona Beach Invitational

Sydney Laput

Junior guard De’Myla Brown looks for an open teammate to pass the ball to during the game against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville on Nov. 18. The Illini lost their first away game of the season against Dayton at the Daytona Beach Invitational on Friday.

By Angelle Cortes, Assistant Sports Editor

Illinois’ first away game of the season ended in a loss against Dayton 67-53 at the Daytona Beach Invitational. 

In what was the fourth meeting between both teams, the Flyers extended the lead in the series to 4-0. 

Makira Cook led the game, racking up 21 points and going 7-16 in field goals. Jenna Giacone followed close behind with 17 points and 5-9 from the three. 

While for the Illini, De’Myla Brown was the only one to hit double points with 12 points going 3-4 in threes and 3-4 from the free throw line.  

Dayton started off hot with Giacone hitting back-to-back threes, putting the Flyers up early. Even though the Illini also got on the board, they were outshined by Giacone, Cook, Erin Whalen and Araion Bradshaw hitting threes. 

The 3-point scoring was broken by two free throws made by Kyla Whitehead, pushing the lead to 20-9 in the first quarter.  

After the first 10 minutes, it was 22-14 to Dayton taking the early lead going into the first break. 

In the second quarter, the Flyers continued to extend the lead going as much as 14 points separating the two. 

But a jumper from Sara Anastasieska set the Illini up for a 9-0 run and broke the 4:10 scoring drought. Then, their run was extended to 14-2 with the help of two threes from Brown. Going into the break, Illinois cut the lead and were just two points behind Dayton 30-32. 

In the third quarter, the Illini kept their momentum taking the lead at one point, but the Flyers didn’t let it hold. With the scoreline 41-42 deep into the third quarter, Dayton began to run away with the lead. 

A 3-pointer from Whalen on the fast break helped jumpstart it, and by the end of the quarter, the Flyers were up by 10 points. 

By the last quarter, Illinois needed some offensive power, and it nearly looked like it after Adalia McKenzie and Kendall Bostic hit back-to-back field goals. However, Dayton continued their offensive reign and took the win 67-53. 

Illinois has one more chance in Florida to get a win when they go head to head against Middle Tennessee on Saturday.  

@AngelleCortes