Illinois women’s basketball struggles offensively against No. 25 Iowa, falls 82-56

Guard+Jayla+Oden+dribbles+the+ball+during+the+game+against+Iowa+City+on+Jan.+24.+The+Illini+lose+to+the+Hawkeyes+82-56.+

Photo courtesy of Illini Athletics

Guard Jayla Oden dribbles the ball during the game against Iowa City on Jan. 24. The Illini lose to the Hawkeyes 82-56.

By Angelle Cortes, Assistant Sports Editor

In a rescheduled match, Illinois fell to Iowa 82-56 in Iowa City as the Hawkeyes dominated in the paint, scoring 54 points. 

Monika Czinano and Caitlin Clark led all scorers with 21 and 18 points. Clark, who was in search of her third triple-double in a row fell short but still put up impressive numbers with eight rebounds and seven assists along with 18 points. 

For the Illini, freshman guard Jayla Oden led the team with 16 points coming off the bench and had a huge impact in the quarter despite the game already won by the Hawkeyes. 

The first quarter started off in Iowa’s favor as its fast footwork on and off the ball got them in the lead early. 

Sophomore forward Kendall Bostic nailed the first points with a layup off a pass from sophomore guard Aaliyah Nye at 7:43. The Illini struggled to get some points on the board as their shots were falling, and the Hawkeyes were defending well, blocking out any avenue to get to the basket. 

Iowa dominated on the court taking advantage of Illinois’ turnovers and getting the buckets to increase the lead. 

By the 2:35 mark, Czinano already hit 10 points after a hookshot jumper off a turnover.

It wasn’t until the 1:48 mark until Illinois had added to their scoreline again since early in the first quarter. After getting fouled, Oden was put at the line and missed her first one but got it on the second, securing a point. With eight seconds to spare, Bostic got another pair of points off a layup, putting the Illini behind 19-5 at the first break. 

During the second quarter, Illinois struck first as graduate student Sara Anastasieska netted a free throw and then a triple. A couple minutes later, the Illini found some rhythm on the floor and forced the Hawkeyes to give up turnovers allowing Anastasieska and freshman guard Adalia McKenzie to get a brace. 

Illinois went on a short 6-2 run for about two minutes, and then Iowa broke it to finish the second quarter strong with 9-0 to add to its 41-19 going into halftime. 

After the break, the third quarter started off with back-to-back runs of triples for both Illinois and Iowa. Junior guard Jada Peebles shot the first, and then Clark immediately on the other side of the court got the other one. 

Bostic got her layup blocked, which was rebounded up by Clark and once again hit a triple off a fast break.  

Illinois ended the 10 minutes with a layup from senior forward/ center Geovanna Lopes and a triple from Nye, which was much needed momentum going into the last quarter in Iowa City. 

The Illini dominated the quarter, outscoring the Hawkeyes 25-15. Oden shined even though she had racked up four personal fouls. The freshman scored 12 points in the quarter alone and helped Illinois go on an 8-0 with the aid of Anastasieska’s free throws. 

Even though the Illini were behind the entire game, the help of players off the bench was able to get them some points on the board. 

Illinois will continue their next on the road against No. 6/5 Indiana on Thursday night in Bloomington. 

@AngelleCortes