Illinois men’s, women’s gymnastics return to action with first home meets of season

Gymnast+Jordan+Kovach+balances+during+his+event+for+still+rings+during+a+meet+on+Mar.+17%2C+2018.+Both+the+mens+and+womens+teams+will+be+back+home+with+the+mens+team+competing+on+Saturday+and+the+womens+team+on+Sunday.+

Photo courtesy of Della Perrone/Illini Athletics

Gymnast Jordan Kovach balances during his event for still rings during a meet on Mar. 17, 2018. Both the men’s and women’s teams will be back home with the men’s team competing on Saturday and the women’s team on Sunday.

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer

After nearly two years, the Illini gymnastics program will finally host their first home meet since the global pandemic started.

The men’s gymnastics team is scheduled to host Ohio State at Huff Hall for the first time since March 7, 2020, when it hosted Michigan and Penn State.

The Illini will also be hosting Pride Night and will be giving out Pride buttons to the first 200 fans in attendance during their Ohio State matchup.

The women’s team will have one more road meet in Lexington before it hosts its first meet of the season on Sunday. 

The Lexington competition, scheduled for Friday, will see the Illini face off in a quad meet against Georgia, Central Michigan and No. 12 Kentucky, according to RoadtoNationals rankings.

Afterward, the women’s squad will be traveling back to Champaign to host No. 5 Minnesota in Huff Hall.

The women’s first meet in Lexington is scheduled to start Friday at 6:30 p.m., and their home meet on Sunday is scheduled for 2 p.m.

The men’s home meet in Huff Hall is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. on Saturday and will be broadcasted on B1G+.

@ArtofRenato