No. 5 Illini men’s gymnastics struggles to keep pace with No. 2 Oklahoma in home loss

Cameron Krasucki

Ian Skirkey performs on pommel horse during Illinois men’s gymnastics’ meet against No. 2 Oklahoma on Saturday.

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer

In their second home meet of the season, the No. 5 Illini were outscored, 403.950-398.650, to the No. 2 Oklahoma Sooners.  

The meet took place in Champaign’s own Huff Hall on Saturday afternoon and started off tied after the floor exercise. 

Junior Connor McCool earned the event title during the floor with a score of 14.150, which helped the Illini start the match tied to the Sooners at 67.150.

Afterwards, senior Ian Skirkey earned another event title for the Illini on the pommel horse with a score of 14.100. Both event titles mark their second of the season.

This marked back-to-back home meets in which the Illini managed to secure event titles in both floor and pommel horse.

During their previous meet against Ohio State in Huff Hall, the Illini secured the victory, 400.750-394.500 with five individual event titles. 

The Illini’s last of their three individual titles came from junior Evan Manivong on the vault with a score of 14.700, which also marked his second event win of the season.

Following this meet, the Illini will be heading to Frisco, Texas, on Feb. 25 for the USA Gymnastics Winter Cup.

The Illini’s record currently stands at 2-1 after this meet as they gear up for multiple Big Ten matchups.

@ArtofRenato