Illinois women’s gymnastics falls in East Lansing as No. 15 Michigan State sets program records

Gymnast+Mia+Takekawa+begins+her+floor+exercise+routine+during+the+competition+against+Minnesota+on+Feb.+6.+Takekawa+scored+a+team+high+on+bars%2C+but+the+Illini+lose+against+Michigan+State.+

Sydney Laput

Gymnast Mia Takekawa begins her floor exercise routine during the competition against Minnesota on Feb. 6. Takekawa scored a team high on bars, but the Illini lose against Michigan State.

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer

After one of their best performances all season, the Illini couldn’t seal the deal against ranked Big Ten rival No. 15 Michigan State. 

The Illini women’s squad scored a season high in total points but were defeated, 197.425-196.450. This loss marks the team’s third straight loss in head-to-head meets.

The showdown took place in East Lansing, Michigan, on Sunday, when several Illini managed to set new career highs, but the Spartans set a new program-best team score in the victory.

The match started off strong during the first three events for the Illini.

The team managed to score 49.275 during the first event of the day, the bars, where junior Mia Takekawa and sophomore Kaitlyn Ewald scoring a team-high of 9.875 on the event. 

Next, on the vault, the Illini scored 49.150 as two gymnasts, sophomore Abby Mueller (9.875) and junior Arayah Simons (9.90), went on to set career highs in the event.

All-around gymnast Takekawa went on to score 39.325 for the Illini.

During the meet’s last rotation, junior McKenzie Eddy made her collegiate debut for the Illini on the beam as she went on to score 9.80.

The Illini have held the upper hand for most of their previous meetings against the Spartans. They have won eight out of their 10 last matchups against the Big Ten rival. 

The two losses have come from their two last meets that both took place in East Lansing on Sunday and during the 2020 season.

The Illini overall currently stand at 2-3 with only one conference win on the season (1-3) so far.

Illinois has nearly a month left before the Big Ten Championships (March 19) take place, but it will have some more opportunities to bounce back against conference opponents.

Following this meet, the Illini will be competing against some more Big Ten rivals on Friday at the Big Five Meet.

This next meet will take place in Toledo, Ohio, at 7 p.m. and will feature Illinois facing off against Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa and Maryland.

@ArtofRenato