Illinois swim & dive prepares to compete in 2022 Big Ten Championships

Cameron Krasucki

Sophomore Sophia Burwitz gets ready at the diving block before her event during the Orange and Blue meet on Oct. 9. The Illini will be heading to Madison for the Big Ten Championships.

By Jonathan Alday, Staff Writer

Nine dual meets. 842.8 miles traveled. 

Since the beginning of the season, the goal has been to be ready for this moment. Now, the Illini have the opportunity to make a statement in, arguably, one of the most competitive divisions in college athletics.

The Illinois swim & dive season started in October and has led up to the Big Ten Championships.

The Illini will travel to Madison, Wisconsin, home of the Wisconsin Badgers, for the four-day competition.

Among the teams competing in the include multiple CSCAA top-25 teams in No. 6 Ohio State, No. 9 Michigan, No. 14 Wisconsin, No. 15 Indiana, No. 16 Northwestern and No. 20 Minnesota.

The Illini lost to the No. 16 Wildcats, 197-99, earlier in the season, facing three more Big Ten teams and going 1-3 overall in conference meets.

The Illini went 5-4 on the 2021-2022 season, dropping their final two games to Big Ten foes Nebraska and Purdue.

Last year, in their shortened 2020-2021 season, the Illini finished in 12th place but with a complete season now under their belts, the team hopes to make major improvements, rising in the standings.

While an uphill battle, the Illini will be looking to make a splash in the four-day contest. A major improvement in standings would be priceless in the development of the program, fulfilling the goals that many of the seniors proposed at the beginning of their Illinois careers. 

The event will take place at the Soderholm Family Aquatic Center in Madison from Wednesday to Saturday.

All preliminary events will start at 10 a.m., with finals starting at 5:30 p.m.

See the live results and watch live here.

@JonathanAlday7