Frazier creates ‘safe team environment’ for Illini women’s tennis

Junior+Josie+Frazier+waits+as+her+doubles+partner%2C+junior+Ashley+Yeah%2C+serves+the+ball+during+their+match+against+Missouri+on+Feb.+13.+Frazier+goes+more+in+depth+on+her+experiences+on+the+team+this+season+such+as+taking+on+a+leadership+position+for+the+younger+and+newer+players.+

Sidney Malone

Junior Josie Frazier waits as her doubles partner, junior Ashley Yeah, serves the ball during their match against Missouri on Feb. 13. Frazier goes more in depth on her experiences on the team this season such as taking on a leadership position for the younger and newer players.

By James Kim, Assistant Sports Editor

With the conclusion of non-conference play and the first weekend of Big Ten play done and dusted, Illinois women’s tennis is looking to achieve more than it did last year. A key piece to accomplishing this? That would have to be junior Josie Frazier, who has emerged as a leader and standout player for the Illini this season.

The 2021/22 season has brought back a lot of what the pandemic-plagued 2020/21 season took away. Frazier has been pleased with how this spring has gone so far, especially with the previous year still fresh in mind.

“Overall it’s been so much fun. It’s been better than last season just because of (COVID-19) and everything. We’ve gotten to travel and compete in non-conference play which has been awesome for the team. It’s been a different dynamic since we have three freshmen so it’s been nice starting off on a new foot.”

Frazier is also no stranger to competing for the orange and blue, and has strived to create a supportive atmosphere for her younger teammates as they begin their journeys at Illinois.

“I think the biggest thing is creating a safe team environment,” Frazier said. “Where it doesn’t matter if you’re an upperclassman or an underclassman, you have a voice on this team. That’s a big thing that we try to harp on at team meetings and everything like that, making sure everyone feels heard. It’s something we’ve definitely tried to foster as upperclassmen to set an example.”

If there’s one thing Illinois has no shortage of, it’s team chemistry. Frazier and fellow juniors Ashley Yeah and Emily Casati have all been teammates for three years now. Frazier and Yeah specifically have also enjoyed their first year playing together as doubles partners on Illinois’ Court 2.

“We’re roommates, so we’re definitely very close,” said Frazier. “It’s been awesome playing with Ashley. We definitely have a really good mutual respect for each other and we’re very comfortable around each other. We actually played a little bit in Juniors before college when we both found out we were going to Illinois, so it’s kind of funny that now after all this time we’re playing together again.”

Frazier was also full of praise for the Illini freshmen Megan Heuser, Kida Ferrari and Kasia Treiber, all of whom have brought “a lot of energy to the team” this season. The junior was excited by the younger players’ arrival, as they’ve “helped create a new dynamic” for the Illini. The close-knit bond Frazier’s helped in building at Illinois has translated into triumphs on the court for the team.

The Illini have been a force to reckon with in Urbana, enjoying the majority of its success on home courts. The team are an impressive 7-1 playing at home this season. While Sunday’s loss to Wisconsin ended what was a seven-game undefeated home streak, nothing takes away from the remarkable run Illinois achieved in which Frazier played a vital role.

“We love playing at home,” said Frazier. “We love our facility and our courts. It’s awesome playing at Atkins. It’s definitely a lot different when we go to other places, they have big crowds sometimes and that can make a difference. But playing at Atkins definitely helps with the environment and we all feel super confident there. Playing at our courts affects the teams we play, so that’s probably one of the reasons why we’ve been so successful at home.”

The Illini will be looking to keep the wins coming in as they continue to compete for the Big Ten title, with the Big Ten Tournament and NCAA Championships also looming on the horizon. It will likely be a nerve-racking stretch for this young team, and this is an area where Frazier is prepared to step up for the Illini.

“Dealing with the nerves that come with college tennis is an advantage that the upperclassmen have since we’ve all been there,” Frazier said. “We’ve all been there in tight moments, we’ve all been the last matchup when it comes to deciding the match. That can be really stressful and it’s something we have under our belts as juniors.”

Josie Frazier and the rest of the Illinois women’s tennis team will be back in action Friday as they prepare to take on Maryland at home. With a win against Minnesota and a recent loss to Wisconsin in conference play, Illinois is looking to bounce back into the win column to regain momentum in the standings. With a lot of Big Ten matches still to go, Frazier had no problems naming the schools she cannot wait to battle once again.

“I would have to say Northwestern,” Frazier said. “We beat them last year on senior day at home when they were No. 7 in the country. That was probably our biggest win last year, and I want to defend Illinois this year and beat them again. I’m also looking forward to playing Michigan. In my time here we’ve never beaten them and we’re definitely hungry for that win. Both of those I’m super, super excited for.”

@james_kim15