Illinois soccer prepares to return to action with spring exhibition matches

Sophomore+forward+Julia+Eichenbaum+runs+onto+the+field+during+the+teams+introduction+before+the+game+against+Wisconsin+on+Oct.+8.+The+Illini+will+begin+their+spring+exhibition+with+two+games+on+Saturday+against+Eastern+Illinois+and+Grand+Valley+State.+

Sydney Laput

Sophomore forward Julia Eichenbaum runs onto the field during the team’s introduction before the game against Wisconsin on Oct. 8. The Illini will begin their spring exhibition with two games on Saturday against Eastern Illinois and Grand Valley State.

By James Kim, Assistant Sports Editor

It’s almost time to kick off spring soccer as Illinois is set to return to Demirjian Park for five exhibition matches over the course of April. The Illini, coming off a difficult 2021 season in which they finished 1-8-1 in Big Ten play and 5-11-1 overall, will be looking for a fresh start as they begin preparations for the start of the regular season in the fall.

Illinois will begin its preseason on Saturday with two matches, the first being an 11:30 a.m. fixture against Eastern Illinois. Having also faced the Panthers in their first preseason match last season, the Illini will be hoping to earn a second consecutive victory, after beating them 1-0 last August.

Illinois will continue its doubleheader that day by returning to Demirjian Park for an afternoon match against Division II National Champions, Grand Valley State. The Lakers had a great 2021 season, going 24-1-2 overall and 12-0-2 in conference play. Grand Valley State won the NCAA tournament to gain its second consecutive national title, so Illinois will need to be on its toes for this fixture. The game will kick off at 2 p.m.

The next doubleheader for the Illini will take place on April 16. Illinois takes on Illinois State at noon and Big Ten rivals Indiana at 3 p.m. on the same day. The Illini took on both of these teams while away last season, dismantling the Redbirds 5-1 in Normal but losing out 2-1 to the Hoosiers in Bloomington.

The fifth and final exhibition match for Illinois will be on April 30, where it faces off against Saint Louis. This game will conclude the spring schedule for the Illini as they get ready to compete in the fall.

The team will also be holding two more Friday Night Lights events during the month of April, where fans can watch the team compete in inter-squad scrimmages at Demirjian Park. The first of these took place on March 25, and the following two will take place on April 8 and April 22, both at 6 p.m.

Fans craving their fix of Illinois soccer will get to enjoy a multitude of games and events during the spring, with the action kicking off this Saturday with the doubleheader against Eastern Illinois and Grand Valley State.

@james_kim15