No. 5 Illinois women’s tennis takes down No. 12 Iowa in close second round of Big Ten tournament

Sidney Malone

Freshman Megan Heuser powers up her swing during her singles match against Rutgers on March 27. Illinois took down Iowa to advance to second round of Big Ten tournament.

By James Kim, Assistant Sports Editor

Survive and advance: that’s the name of the game. No. 5 Illinois managed to defeat No. 12 Iowa in Iowa City during the second round of the Big Ten tournament on Thursday night by a score of 4-3. Having defeated the Hawkeyes 4-2 earlier in the regular season, the Illini were able to overcome the nerves in the rematch to triumph once again.

“I was really proud of the girls and how they competed,” said head coach Evan Clark. “I thought they were in some really tough situations and we dug out. We fought through some things, playing the host team on their home courts with their home crowd and a lot of people there so it was hostile, and I thought we handled it pretty darn well.”

Illinois came into the match refreshed, as Thursday was its first match of the tournament. Iowa had taken down No. 13 Michigan State the day prior. The Illini and the Hawkeyes put on quite a show, and in typical Big Ten fashion it all came down to the wire in this match.

Doubles play started off well for Illinois, as it claimed the point after wins from the Court 1 duo of sophomore Kate Duong and freshman Megan Heuser as well as the Court 3 team of junior Emily Casati and freshman Kasia Treiber. Duong/Heuser claimed a 6-4 victory over Samantha Mannix and Samantha Gillas, while Casati/Treiber clinched the point with a 6-4 win over Barbora Pokorna and Michelle Bacalla. The Court 2 junior duo of Josie Frazier and Ashley Yeah were down 4-5 to Vipasha Mehra and Marisa Schmidt at the time of stoppage. Illinois 1-0 Iowa.

Needing just three singles wins to clinch the victory, the Illini got to work and put their second point on the board thanks to Yeah, who defeated Pokorna on Court 2 by a 7-5, 6-1 triumph. This was followed up by Duong on Court 1, who claimed the win over Schmidt 6-2, 6-4 for the Illini’s third point. With just one more singles victory needed to clutch the win, all eyes turned to the remaining courts. Illinois 3-0 Iowa.

Things began to fall apart for the Illini as the Hawkeyes battled back with three consecutive wins. Frazier fell on Court 4 to Mehra 7-5, 6-1 as Iowa got itself back on the board. After a three-set bout, Casati was also defeated 6-2, 1-6, 6-1 by Bacalla on Court 6. The Hawkeyes then leveled the score at three apiece after Heuser fell to Mannix on Court 4 by a 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4 scoreline. The match would be decided on Court 5. Illinois 3-3 Iowa.

Those familiar with this Illinois women’s tennis team are likely aware of Kasia Treiber and her clutch abilities. The freshman has developed a tendency to win the late points for the Illini, and she did not disappoint on Thursday. Treiber came through for Illinois yet again, taking down Gillas on Court 5 by a 6-7 (5), 7-5, 6-3 score to send the team into the quarterfinals. Final score: Illinois 4, Iowa 3.

Treiber’s contribution to the Illini this season can’t be understated. In just her first year, she’s managed to hold her nerve and grind out hard fought victories wearing the orange and blue.

“She’s been awesome as a freshman,” Clark said. “It’s a really tough position for anyone to be in, first of all, and as a freshman she’s been in that situation a ton, she’s really pulled through. I think early in the year she had one where she didn’t, but that really helped her and she’s grown a ton to get better and better. We love her in that situation because she’s a really tough person to beat. She’ll make you earn it and really makes you work, so we felt really confident with her out there at the end.”

No. 5 Illinois will get a chance at vengeance tomorrow, as the team prepares to take on No. 4 Wisconsin. The Badgers were victorious over the Illini in the regular season, taking the previous encounter by a 5-2 scoreline. Wisconsin was also the only team who managed to take down Illinois in Champaign, with 11 other schools who tried. The Illini will no doubt be looking for revenge on Friday, but have also had some pressure alleviated following their second round victory.

“We feel great,” Clark said. “The pressure’s off a little bit after today. These matches you’re supposed to win are a little tougher, right? Wisconsin’s supposed to win tomorrow so that takes the pressure off us a little bit, we realize that we’ve grown a ton since we played them at home last month. We didn’t feel we played particularly well on that day so we know we can compete with anyone and compete with them tomorrow, but we’ll need our best stuff as they’re a good team and they’re well coached. We’re feeling good after a win like this and I like our chances.”

No. 5 Illinois will take on No. 4 Wisconsin in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten tournament on Friday at 6 p.m. in Iowa City. The Illini have their eyes on the prize heading into the final stages of the tournament and are three wins away from the trophy. The winners of this quarterfinal matchup will take on the winner of No.1 Ohio State vs. No. 8 Minnesota in the semifinals on Saturday at 2 p.m.

“The postseason is all about surviving and advancing,” said Clark. “I thought there were a lot of variables that were against us today and our girls pulled through in the end.”

@james_kim15