Former Illini Vederian Lowe selected in round six of 2022 NFL Draft

Senior+offensive+lineman+Vederian+Lowe+during+the+game+against+Virginia++on+Sept.+11.+

Photo courtesy of Pat Pierson/Illinois Athletics

Senior offensive lineman Vederian Lowe during the game against Virginia on Sept. 11.

By Jonathan Alday, Assistant Sports Editor

Former Illinois offensive lineman Vederian Lowe was selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the sixth round of the 2022 NFL Draft, becoming the third Illinois offensive lineman selected in the draft in the last four years.

A three-star recruit out of Rockford, Ill., Lowe joined Illinois during the Lovie Smith era. Lowe saw his first start against Iowa in his freshman year. He started six more games and played in a total of eight by the end of the season, earning a BTN.com All-Freshman honorable mention.

Lowe followed up his freshman campaign by starting 12 more games at left tackle, being part of an offensive line that had the most improved running game in the country.

His junior year saw him start all 13 games at left tackle and in his senior year, Lowe earned an All-Big Ten honorable mention, starting all eight games.

In his final season, Lowe earned a Pro Football Focus All-Big Ten second-team honor, starting all 12 games at left tackle. He was rated the 31st best tackle in the nation and served as a major representative of Illinois football at Big Ten Media Days.

@JonathanAlday7