Illinois soccer returns to Champaign for regular season finale against Minnesota

Senior+defender+Aleah+Treiterer+attempts+to+slip+past+Missouri+during+the+game+on+Sept.+9.+The+Illini+will+take+on+Minnesota+on+Sunday+for+their+last+regular+season+game.+

Sidney Malone

Senior defender Aleah Treiterer attempts to slip past Missouri during the game on Sept. 9. The Illini will take on Minnesota on Sunday for their last regular season game.

By James Kim, Assistant Sports Editor

After 17 matches up to this point, Illinois soccer has reached the final Sunday of the regular season, a home clash against Minnesota. The Illini will be looking to finish off their mixed season on a high note, and send off the seven departing players on a high note.

Illini fans will be witnessing the last time defender Eileen Murphy, forward Ashley Prell, defender Aleah Treiterer, midfielder Kendra Pasquale, midfielder Lilian Lucas and defender Summer Garrison all take the pitch at Demirjian Park.

“Every year you lose a group,” head coach Janet Rayfield said. “This particular group I think has really led this program through some really tough times, from COVID to opening a new stadium in the midst of all of that. We’ll miss their leadership, but those are things you leave as a legacy.”

Illinois is coming off a 0-0 draw against Wisconsin. The Illini entered the game as the underdogs and put up a solid defensive display away in Madison to earn the point. Now sitting in 10th place in the Big Ten standings, Illinois will be welcoming a Minnesota side to Champaign who currently sits in eighth.

Minnesota is on a four-game undefeated streak, with the most recent result being a 2-0 victory over Purdue. Historically, the Illini lead 13-10-4 in the all-time series against the Golden Gophers. Things didn’t go to plan for Illinois in the previous encounter, however, as it was dismantled 5-0 by Minnesota last year. The Illini will be coming into the matchup seeking revenge and looking to even the score.

While getting a win on Sunday is important to the team, it would be particularly special for the seven departing Illini players, who will undoubtedly be hoping to conclude their time in Champaign on a high note.

Despite the up and down finish to the season, Illinois’ younger players have done well to build chemistry on the pitch with the senior players and it’s been evident in the team’s victories this fall. The program has lots to look forward to in regards to the development of the younger unit.

“I do like the young players that we have,” Rayfield said. “And there’s some injured players sitting on the sidelines waiting to get on. I really do think the future of this team is bright and the seniors will leave a legacy that we’ll continue to build on.”

Illinois (7-7-3 overall, 2-5-2 B1G) will kickoff its clash with Minnesota (8-7-2 overall, 4-4-1 B1G) at 1 p.m. on Sunday for the final regular match at Demirjian Park.

@james_kim15