Illinois gives up Braggin’ Rights to Missouri in 6-5 loss

By Adam Rosen, Assistant Sports Editor

Illinois traveled two hours west to Sauget, Illinois, as they played the Missouri Tigers in a neutral-site one-game series. This is the third time in a row that the “Braggin’ Rights” game has occurred in Sauget.

The Illini were the “home team” this time, meaning freshman righthander Jake Swartz would lead his team to the diamond for his third start this season. For the Tigers, it would be righthander Logan Lunceford taking the mound boasting a 2-0 record with an earned run average of 1.56.

With a win, Illinois head coach Dan Hartleb would become the program’s all-time winningest coach. Currently standing with 518 wins, he is tied with Lee Eilbracht for that record.

The evening started well on the Missouri side of things, as the Tigers lineup got to Swartz early. The Tigers jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning after mashing pitches to the outfield
repeatedly, forcing Swartz to throw 25 pitches in the frame.

A longball from left fielder Ryan Moerman made it a 3-1 ball game in the second inning. Swartz settled in after a rough first inning. A threat from Illinois in the third was washed away by a pair of strikeouts and an out on an attempt to steal second.

A pair of runs got the Illini within one, heading into the fifth inning. The game remained a close affair throughout the evening. Heading into the seventh inning, it was still a one-run ballgame, with the Tigers maintaining a 6-5 lead.

However, the Illini offense could not finish the comeback effort, as the Missouri pitching staff slammed the door shut. The Illini lost a close 6-5 game, allowing Missouri fans to show off another win in this edition of the Braggin’ Rights game.

The win by Missouri means that the all-time series between the programs is now tied at 20 wins apiece with one draw. For the Illini, they now sit at 11-10, needing to find answers as they head back to Champaign for their first true home series of the season.

The Illini will host the Michigan Wolverines, a team they have not played since last year’s Big Ten Tournament.

@arrosen76