Epstein returns for another season in backfield with Illini

Photo Courtesy of Brad Leeb/Fighting Illini Athletics

Running back Mike Epstein flies through the air while clutching a football in a game against Minnesota. Epstein is returning for his fifth season with the Illini.

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor

When Bret Bielema arrived in Champaign, the Illinois faithful knew there would be a renewed focus on running the football. In the early 2000s when Bielema was head coach of the Wisconsin Badgers, he completely transformed their rushing offense, as they consistently topped the Big Ten in rushing yards and touchdowns.

Bielema will have no shortage of options with the Illini, but there is not one standout option as of yet. Chase Brown, Reggie Love III and Chase Hayden will most likely take most of the workload for Illinois’ rushing game

Farther down the depth chart lies Mike Epstein. Epstein is returning for his fifth season with the Illini and when healthy he’s been fantastic for Illinois.

However, he has spent most of his career on the injured reserve. A stress fracture in his foot during his freshman and sophomore years followed by a torn ACL as a junior have not given Epstein the opportunity to shine for long in Champaign.

During the 2020 season, Epstein looked like he had turned the corner from his injury-riddled first three years. He had 69 carries for 367 yards and a team-high four touchdowns during the year and with those numbers he received an All-Big Ten honorable mention.

After a solid season with Illinois, Epstein is excited to be back with the team for his fifth year and he hopes to build on the great numbers from his senior season.

“Feels really good to be back,” Epstein said. “Been here in Champaign for a good amount of time and there’s really no place like your second home.”

A player of Epstein’s talent may be frustrated this season if they’re not getting enough carries. However it is clear that the fifth-year senior is putting the rest of the team ahead of his personal statistics and just wants Illinois in the win column. 

“Genuinely just want to do whatever I can to help this team,” Epstein said. “If that is taking the carries 10 times a game, 20 times a game, it doesn’t matter to me. I want to see wins.”

Illinois has one of the most experienced offensive lines in college football, with returning players tallying 123 starts for the team. Even with a great offensive line, every running back will have to manage their workload and get hit throughout the 12 game season. 

With Epstein’s injury history, there are worries that he could struggle to stay healthy this season, but he seems to be embracing football throughout summer camp and doesn’t turn away from contact.

“It really felt good to hit again,” Epstein said. “I haven’t been hit since Penn State. So it sounds kind of weird but it felt really good to take some hits.”

Running backs coach Cory Patterson will have several tough decisions to make throughout the 2021 season regarding playing time. Even with these circumstances, Patterson is happy to have a player and leader like Epstein back in the locker room. 

“He’s back and all the guys love him being back,” Patterson said. “Mike doesn’t have quit in him, he’s not a guy that’s going to say it’s over. He could have hung it up, but Mike worked his tail off to be back playing for the University of Illinois.”

“Mike wants to be out there everyday,” Patterson said. “He’s hungry to get back out there. The other day I managed his reps and although he said he had some more in him, I told him to relax a little bit.”

You’ll be able to see Epstein and the rest of the Illini in action at Memorial Stadium for the first time this year when they face off against Nebraska on Aug. 28.

@WillPayne33