Dee Brown joins Illinois basketball staff

Dee Brown at Assembly Hall during the 2005 season. The Daily Illini file photo.

By Masaki Sugimoto

Dee Brown is a member of Illinois basketball again.

The athletic department announced Wednesday that Brown will be joining the basketball staff as the program’s first ever Director of Player Development and Alumni Relations.

Coach Dee Brown on Twitter: “Excited to learn from @JohnGroce @coachPham @Dustin_Ford @jamallwalker @momash09 thank you for the opportunity to join your staff! ILL / Twitter”

Excited to learn from @JohnGroce @coachPham @Dustin_Ford @jamallwalker @momash09 thank you for the opportunity to join your staff! ILL

Brown’s duties range from scheduling life skills enhancement for athletes, contributing to recruiting, setting up communication with high school coaches and networking with former Illini basketball players.

“I thought my love for this University couldn’t exceed what it was when I played here,” Brown said in a press release. “But my experience over this last year has only strengthened it.”

Brown spent the last year as the Special Assistant to the Director of Athletics after finishing his playing career in Europe. Brown promoted Illinois’ brand in the community and talked with athletic department donors.

“(Brown) stands a one of the greatest to ever play here, but anyone who knows Dee knows that he does not rest upon past accomplishments,” basketball head coach John Groce said in the press release. “He has a tremendous future in the coaching profession and we are thrilled to welcome him to our staff as we work collectively in building a championship program.”

The basketball program has been in a bad spot, with several players getting arrested over the past few months

Brown is best known for guiding the Illini to the NCAA title game in 2005, where they eventually lost to North Carolina.

@MasakiSugimoto