Illinois women’s basketball to face off against the No. 25 Iowa Hawkeyes

Guard+DeMyla+Brown+performs+a+lay+up+during+the+game+against+Penn+State+on+Jan.+16.+The+Illini+hope+for+a+win+against+the+Hawkeyes+after+several+losses+in+the+past.++

Photo courtesy of Farrell Shine/Illini Athletics

Guard De’Myla Brown performs a lay up during the game against Penn State on Jan. 16. The Illini hope for a win against the Hawkeyes after several losses in the past.

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor

For game number 17 of the season, the Illinois women’s basketball team is heading up to Iowa City for a matchup with the Hawkeyes. The Illini come into this game with a 6-10 record (1-4 in the Big Ten), and they are still looking for their first win on the road this year.

Illinois’ last game was on Thursday night versus the Purdue Boilermakers, where they lost by a score of 89-67. Aaliyah Nye led the scoring for the Illini with 19 points (6-10 from the field). Along with Nye, De’Myla Brown (12) and Jayla Oden (11) were the only other players in double figures.

Originally Illinois were scheduled to face off against the Nebraska Cornhuskers today at the State Farm Center. However, due to a COVID-19 outbreak in the Cornhusker locker room, the game has been postponed.

The No. 25 Iowa Hawkeyes have a record of 11-4 (5-11 in the Big Ten), and are currently riding a four game winning streak. In their most recent game on Thursday, the Hawkeyes dusted the Minnesota Golden Gophers 105-49 in the Twin Cities.

Iowa are 7-2 at the Carver-Hawkeye Arena this year, with their two losses coming against Northwestern and IUPUI earlier in the season. They’re led by sophomore guard Caitlin Clark, who is a nation player of the year candidate. Clark averages 26.2 points per game and leads the team in rebounding (8.5) and free throw percentage (90.4%).

This matchup is the 79th game between Illinois and Iowa in women’s basketball, as Illinois trails in the all-time series 18-60. The Illini have lost their last nine road games in Iowa City, with their last win coming in 2007 by a score of 74-69.

Tipoff in Iowa City is slated for 5 p.m. CST and the game will be broadcasted live on the Big Ten Network, and Mike Koon will call the action on the Busey Bank Illini Sports Network (1400 AM / 93.9 FM). 

@WillPayne33