No. 14 soccer gunning for road

By Derek Barichello

The Illini soccer team hits the road for the first time this season when it travels to play Southeast Missouri State tonight and Evansville on Sunday.

One of the team’s goals for this fall is to finish with a winning record away from home. The Illini believe it will be one of the keys to achieving a Big Ten title.

“To stay alive and compete in the Big Ten, we are going to have to win on the road,” said senior forward Andrea Ridgeway. “We’ve been getting better on the road every year.”

The No. 14 Illini are coming off a 4-1 victory over Missouri last Sunday, where they were able to control the ball and create scoring opportunities for their midfielders. The Illini would like to see those trends continue this weekend.

“If we continue to create lots of opportunities for our midfield, we are going to be a difficult team to play,” Ridgeway said. “Our opponents will be confused on who to mark up, and that will make our team very dangerous offensively.”

Although the Illini played well against Missouri, they want to improve their play in the penalty boxes on both sides of the ball. Last weekend, the Illini allowed a goal against Missouri and were not able to score on a few golden opportunities.

“We need to do a better job of clearing and finishing balls,” Illinois head coach Janet Rayfield said. “A lot of focus in practice this week has been improving the play in the penalty boxes.”

Rayfield said she knows Illinois will have a target on its chest when facing Southeast Missouri State tonight and Evansville on Sunday.

The Illini want to be sure not to overlook them, because they play in smaller conferences.

“We try to set goals for each game,” said junior defender Christen Karniski. “It’s easier for us that way, because we do not look too far ahead. We take things one game at a time.”

Southeast Missouri State is off to a good start. It won its first two games, defeating Evansville and SEC opponent Arkansas.

“Southeast Missouri is coming off two victories, so they’ll be dangerous,” Rayfield said. “We don’t have much information on them, except that they’ve scored five goals in two games. They also play on a sport turf surface, which will be different for us.”

Evansville is the opposite; they have dropped their first two games. That does not change Illinois’ philosophy.

“Evansville will be just as hungry, if not more,” Rayfield said. “They are 0-2 and are going to be very hungry to get their first win, especially against last year’s Big Ten tournament champion. We’ll have to be ready to play.”

Rayfield believes if the Illini worry about themselves and achieve their goals, winning this weekend will take care of itself.

“One of the things we want to do throughout the whole year is maintain a consistent mentality for each game,” Rayfield said. “It is not about our opponent as much as it is about us. If we do the things we are capable of, we’ll be successful.”