Smith charged with DUI, leaving the scene

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Illinois basketball player Jamar Smith was charged with Aggravated Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol and Leaving the Scene of a Personal Injury Accident today stemming from the Feb. 12 crash which left teammate Brian Carlwell in critical condition, according to a press release from the Champaign County State’s Attorney’s office.

Both charges are felonies.

According to the release, a University police investigation revealed that Smith and Carlwell, among others, had been drinking tequila and beer at College Fields Apartments on South First Street in Champaign. The pair left the apartments after 11:00 p.m., and while going south on First Street, Smith lost control of the vehicle and hit a tree. The impact was on the passenger side of the vehicle, where Carlwell was sitting.

Two witnesses saw the car pull into a parking lot back at College Fields Apartments, and the witnesses called 911, according to the release.

The investigation further revealed that Smith had re-entered his apartment at College Fields, believing that Carlwell had died in the crash. After being found and taken to the hospital later that night, Smith submitted to a blood test, which revealed a blood alcohol level of .176, according to the press release.

Carlwell was released from the hospital on Friday afternoon.

Smith had been previously charged with improper lane usage as a result of the Feb. 12 accident. Smith, his family and head coach Bruce Weber agreed late last week that Smith would sit out the remainder of the season. Illinois trainers hope Carlwell will be well enough to return to the lineup for the Big Ten tournament, which begins March 8.