Dye’s RBIs propel Sox past Yankees

By The Daily Illini

CHICAGO – The White Sox ended one emotional series with a victory, thanks to Jon Garland’s pitching and four RBIs from Jermaine Dye.

Now they head to another, hoping to take the momentum from Thursday’s 4-1 victory over the New York Yankees into a three-game series against the Cubs at Wrigley Field.

“I enjoy playing the Cubs, no doubt about it,” White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said, reiterating that he’s no fan of Wrigley Field except for the field itself and the excitement it creates. “I love to play there as soon as the national anthem starts. It’s great, it’s awesome.”

Garland gave the White Sox a lift by allowing one run and six hits over seven innings against a team that is similar to the White Sox in its offensive struggles of late.

Chicago’s victory came a day after the teams split a day-night doubleheader.

“After a long night like last night, you’re trying to keep the guys off the field as much as possible,” said Garland, who was backed by three double plays. “The defense behind me was outstanding.”

The Yankees had two runners on in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings but couldn’t score against Garland (3-2) until Doug Mientkiewicz hit a two-out RBI double in the seventh, a drive to right that a leaping Dye couldn’t haul in. It drove in Robinson Cano, who had tripled with one out.

Garland walked four and struck out two, running his record to 2-5 against the Yankees. Bobby Jenks pitched the ninth for his 13th save in 14 chances.

“It’s been a struggle for us to score runs consistently,” said Alex Rodriguez, who entered in a 2-for-25 slump and went 2-for-3 with a walk. I don’t know (why). It’s been frustrating. We’ve had our chances, and I don’t know what it is.”

New York dropped 91/2 games behind Boston after the Red Sox swept a day-night doubleheader from Detroit. It’s the Yankees’ largest deficit since they were also 91/2 games out after games of Sept. 6, 1997.

The Yankees hope to shake their hitting woes quickly: They head to Shea Stadium beginning Friday to play the Mets, who staged a five-run ninth Thursday to beat the Cubs.

“I know we’re going to get better at it. I know we’re going to put a streak together,” manager Joe Torre said. “But it hasn’t happened yet. … We’re just coming up empty. … We’re keeping the game close enough where we can win it, but we just haven’t been able to put any offense together.”

Dye, who entered batting .206 with five hits in his previous 30 at-bats, had a two-out RBI double in the first and hit a two-run homer in the third off Matt DeSalvo (1-1).

Chicago made it 4-0 in the fourth after Tadahito Iguchi doubled and Darin Erstad reached on interference by catcher Jorge Posada. Following a sacrifice, reliever Luis Vizcaino walked A.J. Pierzynski intentionally and Dye delivered a sacrifice fly.

Dye’s still not hitting the way he can. Neither are slumping teammates, such as Paul Konerko and Joe Crede.

“Sooner or later offensively we’re going to come out of it,” Dye said. “We’ve got too many good players in this clubhouse to not do that.”

The White Sox lose a bat out of their lineup Friday because there is no DH. But playing in the charged atmosphere is something the players, including Dye, look forward to.

“It’s a fun place to place to play,” Dye said. “They get after it a little bit, get on you a little bit. … Hopefully we can put up runs early to keep the (Cubs) crowd out of the game.”

DeSalvo lasted only 3 1-3 innings in his third major league start, giving up four runs and six hits.