Illini to face USC in Rose Bowl

By Daily Illini Staff Report

It’s official: Illinois is going to the Rose Bowl.

Following the BCS Selection Show’s announcement Sunday night, Illinois was chosen as the game’s at-large pick to face USC. Ohio State had clinched a trip to Pasadena, but as the new No. 1 team in the Bowl Championship Series standings, the Buckeyes were chosen to play in the Allstate BCS National Championship Game. The USC Trojans received an automatic bid for winning the Pac 10 Conference.

It will be Illinois’ first trip to the Rose Bowl since 1984 – a 45-9 loss at the hands of UCLA.

Traditionally, the Rose Bowl – played on Jan. 1 – pits the winners of the Big Ten and the Pac 10 conferences. However, if one of those teams makes the national title game, its spot becomes an at-large decision for the Rose Bowl Committee. The committee kept with its conference ties, choosing the Illini, which finished the season 9-3 and second in the Big Ten. The Illini are also the only team to defeat No. 1 Ohio State.

Illinois is 3-1 in Rose Bowl games.

Ticket Information

Tickets go on sale for $135 per ticket at 9 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 3. at the Athletic Ticket Office at Assembly Hall. Only season ticket holders (Block I, Student Vouchers, Student Block Tickets) will be eligible to order, and you must bring a valid UIUC Student ID. The student sale will last until Wednesday, Dec. 5 at 5 p.m., or until the student allotment sells out, whichever comes first. A limit of one ticket per student ticket holder will be available.

For more information check out www.fightingillini.com

For updates on the Illini’s Rose Bowl berth, check back with DailyIllini.com and tomorrow’s edition of The Daily Illini.