Illinois shouldn’t be playing to avoid upsets

We knew it could happen, we thought it might happen, and for a while, it looked like it would happen. 

Western Kentucky, fresh off a 700-yard offensive outburst last week, was a dangerous foe that many thought could pull off the upset. When a Wes Lunt third quarter pass to Illini receiver Malik Turner was ripped from Turner’s hands and run back 95 yards for a touchdown, you could sense the momentum changing. 

The offense went back onto the field the next possession trailing 24-21 and Lunt promptly threw an interception. 

“I kind of got greedy, I saw a guy getting open, I think I would have had it if I had thrown a good ball,” Lunt said. “There was a guy open in the flat and I should have taken it.” 

But holding the Hilltoppers to a field goal was at least a small success, and a 62-yard touchdown pass from Lunt to Justin Hardee was a big one. 

The Illini pulled this one out 42-34, but they certainly are playing with fire. Like last week’s squeaker over Youngstown State, it feels like more of a sigh of relief for Illinois fans than a resounding triumph. 

Lunt said no one panicked when the Hilltoppers took the lead. In past years, Tim Beckman’s squad would often roll over and give in when adversity hit. This team didn’t. While that’s great, it still doesn’t feel like a win over a C-USA team should feel.

On the positive side, watching Lunt dismantle the Western Kentucky defense was like watching a snake slowly squeeze its prey to death. Lunt said he probably should have hit the receiver in the flat on his one interception of the day — but most of the day he made the easy throws.  

He finished with 35 completions for 456 yards and really only a few of those completions were memorable. They didn’t have to be. Lunt got the job done and he did it well. Saturday’s performance was exactly what fans were hoping for when Lunt announced his transfer to Illinois. 

While Lunt’s performance was quietly spectacular, the Illinois running game was quietly forgettable. Josh Ferguson and Donovonn Young each carried the ball 14 times and combined for 79 yards.

Offensive coordinator Bill Cubit said Ferguson had been the best player on the field until he started suffering cramps midway through the game. 

Each running back had a touchdown, but it was the one Young was unable to score in the first quarter on fourth-and-one at the goal line that stands out.

“I’m going to challenge them,” Beckman said. “If it’s fourth-and-inches, we’re going to go for it. I’m not going to kick a field goal. You go for it, you run the play and you put it in the end zone.”

While that is a bold and confident strategy, one might question the decision so early in the game. But if the Illini want to play with fire, they can play with fire.

Beckman said that when he entered the locker room following the win, he joked with his team: “Please don’t do that anymore. I’m getting old and my heart’s getting bad.” 

It’s all fun and games after a win, but Illinois won’t continue to be so lucky. The Illini shouldn’t come away with wins over Youngstown State and Western Kentucky sighing with relief.

It’s safe to say the Illini have had enough time throughout two games to get rid of the jitters. There won’t be time for jitters next week at Washington. A win over the Huskies would be more than a sigh of relief — and what a feeling it would be for Illinois fans. 

Sean is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter at @sean_hammond.