Big Ten power rankings: Week 7

By Daily Illini Staff Report

1. MICHIGAN STATE (LAST WEEK: 2)

The Spartans proved their dominance in the Big Ten, defeating Nebraska 27-22. They held the Cornhuskers to just three points until the fourth quarter.

2. OHIO STATE (3)

The Buckeyes’ offense exploded for 52 points on 533 yards against Maryland, while their defense forced four turnovers.

3. NEBRASKA (4)

The Cornhuskers’ offense showed up late in a 27-22 loss to Michigan State, but Nebraska nearly came back with 19 fourth quarter points.

4. IOWA (5)

The Hawkeyes come out from a bye week and head into a conference matchup against Indiana. The Iowa defense, which is 16th in the nation in points against, will look to stop indiana’s productive rushing attack.

5. WISCONSIN (1)

The Badgers were upset by Northwestern Saturday, throwing two interceptions in the endzone on their way to a 20-14 loss.

6. NORTHWESTERN (9)

The Wildcats have turned their season around, upsetting Wisconsin 20-14 Saturday and winning their last three games after opening the season 0-2.

7. MINNESOTA (8)

The Golden Gophers will host a red-hot Northwestern team Saturday, two weeks after defeating Michigan 30-14.

8. PENN STATE (6)

The Nittany Lions will look to bounce back after their first loss of the season (29-6 to Northwestern) when they visit a struggling Michigan on Saturday.

9. MARYLAND (7)

The Terrapins had four turnovers against Ohio State, with the offense focusing heavily on the pass, attempting 40 passing, gaining 244 yards through the air.

10. RUTGERS (12)

The Scarlet Knights took advantage of a troubled Michigan team, throwing for 402 yards with no turnovers in a 26-24 win.

11. MICHIGAN (10)

The Wolverines have struggled, starting the season 2-4 and suffering a surprising 26-24 loss to Rutgers Saturday.

12. INDIANA (11)

The Hoosiers rank ninth in the nation in rushing yards, led by junior Tevin Coleman, who surpassed 2,000 career rushing yards Saturday in Indiana’s 49-24 win over North Texas.

13. PURDUE (14)

The Boilermakers got their first Big Ten win in two years Saturday, defeating Illinois 38-27 on 551 total yards of offense.

14. ILLINOIS (13)

The Illini are struggling, losing three of their last four games. Starting quarterback Wes Lunt is also out for an expected four-to-six weeks with a leg fracture, while the rushing defense ranks worst in the conference.