Big Ten power rankings: Week 9

By Daily Illini Staff Report

1. MICHIGAN STATE (LAST WEEK: 1)

The Spartans 28-point second half allowed them to pull away from Indiana Saturday, defeating the Hoosiers 56-17.

2. OHIO STATE (2)

The Buckeyes cruised to a 56-17 win over Rutgers on nearly 600 yards of total offense.

3. NEBRASKA (3)

Led by Ameer Abdullah, the Cornhuskers’ offense is averaging 41 points per game.

4. WISCONSIN (4)

The Badgers lead the conference with an average of 343 rushing yards per game.

5. MINNESOTA (6)

The Golden Gophers escaped with a 39-38 win over Purdue Saturday, racking up 450 yards of total offense.

6. MARYLAND (8)

The Terrapins spread out their offense with 206 passing yards and 212 rushing yards on their way to a 38-31 win over Iowa.

7. IOWA (5)

The Hawkeyes’ 317 passing yards weren’t enough for Iowa as they committed three turnovers and fell to Maryland 38-31.

8. NORTHWESTERN (7)

The Wildcats’ defense struggled Saturday, allowing 237 passing yards and 234 on the ground in a 38-17 loss to Nebraska.

9. PENN STATE (9)

The Nittany Lions’ defense ranks at the top of the Big Ten, allowing just nine touchdowns on a conference-best 283.3 yards per game.

10. MICHIGAN (10)

The Wolverines’ offense is among the Big Ten’s worst, gaining just 340 total yards per game.

11. PURDUE (12)

The Boilermakers came close to grabbing their second Big Ten victory this season, picking up nearly 300 yards on the ground before falling to Minnesota on a late field goal.

12. INDIANA (13)

The Hoosiers put a scare into Michigan State in the first half, holding a 17-14 lead over the Spartans midway through the second. But Indiana allowed 662 yards of offense and fell 56-17.

13. RUTGERS (12)

The Rutgers’ offense wasn’t able to get it going against Ohio State, turning the ball over three times in Saturday’s 56-17 game.

14. ILLINOIS (14)

The Illini defense continues to struggle, allowing a conference-worst 271.1 rushing yards per game.