Illinois hockey picking up where it left off

By Cole Henke

It took a few rough patches before Illinois hockey was able to adjust and come together at the end of last season. This season, the team is looking to skip the growing pains.

The Illini went 8-9 in the CSCHL last season, which placed them fourth out of the five teams in the conference. A strong finish to the season netted them a quarterfinal berth at Nationals.

Sophomore center Eric Cruikshank was a major contributor to the team’s late-season success. He had 32 points on the season, the second most on the team. There was a notable difference between the regular season and postseason play for the Illini, according to Cruikshank.

“I think our team all finally settled down and started playing the way we knew we could play,” Cruikshank said. “What needed to be improved was the amount of penalties we were taking, the lack of offense on the power play and our consistency.”

It is important for the Illini to keep improving on these areas, since it has already proven to work for them. However, the team is not exactly the same as it was last year, which opens up other roster holes that need to be filled.

The Illini defense in particular has taken a hit, losing core defensemen William Nunez and Joshua Baker. Nunez was voted the team’s best defenseman last season.

Cruikshank believes that the team has plenty of strong players that can fill that void, though. The Illini’s defense is going to need to be in top form if they hope to reach the team’s goals, and according to sophomore forward Shaunak Pal, those goals are set high.

“Our main goal is to start the season off and prove that we are the best team in the conference and that we are a top-five team in the country,” Pal said. “If we come together by the end of the season, we can make a good run at Nationals.”

The first game of the season for the Illini is Sept. 18 at home against Michigan State, but the Illini are looking forward to getting back to campus and get back on the ice.

The players have been working hard this summer to improve and reach their goals.

Pal is looking to give his team more chances and consistently make a bigger impact on the score sheet. Experience alone has allowed him to figure out where he should be on the ice to make the most efficient play for his teammates.

Cruikshank believes that he has improved his ability to play in all three zones. In the middle of last season, head coach Nick Fabbrini moved him from the wing to the center position, a move that allowed him to feel much more comfortable.

“I’m looking forward to reconnecting the bonds we had as a team last year. It was easily one of the closest and best groups of guys I’ve played with, and I am thankful that I still get to play hockey and play with (the team),” Cruikshank said. “I’m itching to get back into the swing of things here in a few weeks.”

@cole_Henke