Fantasy Doctor: What is going on?

By Joey Figueroa

If a patient tells me something along the lines of “Larry Fitzgerald, Tyrod Taylor and Travis Benjamin all landed top-five Week Two fantasy scoring numbers,” I’d usually refer them to the nearest asylum. 

We were all under the influence of some abnormal point aggregates this past week, though, and they need some sorting out.

It’s not unusual to see week-to-week point totals fluctuate dramatically early on in the season, but it’s always disconcerting seeing that guy you drafted in the second round stumble out of the gates. I’m right there with you, don’t worry.

Doctor’s advice: Take a deep breath, take a nap, eat a pizza, pet a dog, it will be OK. 

From here on, I’ll do my best to convince you that your expected top-tier contributors will be alright, and so will your team. Flu and exam seasons are approaching, so I’ll try to give you one less thing to worry about.

There are some big performers that need to be taken back down to Earth, though, so it can’t all be positive. And then, of course, my weekly defensive pick, along with some waiver wire options for Week Three.

Oh, and regardless of the handful of strange performances, your all-seeing, all-knowing fantasy doctor went a combined 3-0 in Week Two matchups. So my advice is all 100 percent correct, I swear.

Expecting a full recovery

Andrew Luck: Perhaps off to one of the slowest starts — in terms of his lofty standards — in the league, Luck struggled mightily against the Jets on Monday Night Football, and the Colts are 0-2. I took Luck with the fifth overall pick in one of my leagues, so his five interceptions and his career-worst MNF game scare me. But it’s Andrew Luck. He’ll turn it around, especially against three straight flimsy secondaries coming up — Tennessee, Jacksonville and Houston.   

Brandin Cooks: The Oregon State product has been held without a touchdown and under 65 yards for two straight weeks, not living up to his No. 1 option hype. With Drew Brees likely missing a few weeks, Cook will need to be backup Luke McCown’s go-to receiver. He led the team with seven targets Sunday.

Demarco Murray: I wasn’t too high on Murray pre-draft, but I never expected him to have 11 total yards on the ground after two games. He accumulated a whopping two rushing yards on the ground against the Cowboys Sunday night, but has made up for it with nine catches for 64 yards and a score on the year. Murray has nowhere to go but up, his offensive line just needs to give him room.

In need of further examination

De’Angelo Williams: In his two weeks as the interim lead back, Williams rushed for 127 yards in Week One and scored three times in Week Two. Quite the showing for a fill-in. However, there’s some guy named Le’Veon Bell returning in Week Three and he’s going to put the offense on his shoulders. It’s tough seeing Williams having much of a role going forward.

Travis Benjamin: Out of nowhere, the speedy Benjamin has four total TDs for the Browns this season — and he has six catches. Used to being a special-teamer, he’s a situational deep threat whom Johnny Manziel has taken a liking to with his big heaves. Considering his snap count, Benjamin won’t be able to maintain this scoring run — he’s in the Josh Cribbs (remember him?) realm of random contributors.

Andy Dalton: Through two games, the red-haired play caller for the Bengals has nearly 500 yards and five touchdowns with no picks. Dalton has become notoriously inconsistent over the past few seasons, though, so he shouldn’t be expected to string together too many multi-touchdown, 200-plus yards games — especially in the next four weeks against Baltimore, Kansas City, Seattle and Buffalo.

Defense of the week: Seattle at home against Chicago will be a fantasy goldmine, but the Giants defense is more likely available in a plus matchup against the Redskins.

Waiver wire pick-ups of the week: Tyrod Taylor (QB/BUF), Matt Jones (RB/WAS), Dion Lewis (RB/NE), Devonta Freeman (RB/ATL), David Johnson (RB/ARI), Michael Crabtree (WR/OAK), Eric Ebron (TE/DET), Crockett Gilmore (TE/BAL).

@joeyfigueroa3