Fantasy Doctor: Waiver-wire wonders and blunders

The Miami Dolphins defense fails to stop Buffalo Bills' Karlos Williams as he scores a touchdown during the fourth quarter on Sunday, Sept. 27, 2015, at Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla. (Charles Trainor Jr./Miami Herald/TNS)

By Joey Figueroa

Well, here’s where my fantasy season falls apart.

Your beloved fantasy doctor finally lost in two of his three leagues this past week, and with some more key injuries, the loss column may be my new best friend.

Not a week has gone by throughout this NFL season without a few major injuries or some depth chart shuffling that has opened up new opportunities for players dwelling deep in the depths of the waiver wire. After suffering a torn ACL on Sunday, Dion Lewis MD joins the long line of running backs I’ve lost to season-ending injuries this year, and once again, some roster primping is in order.

Whether you’ve also been bitten by the injury bug or just need some bye week fill-ins, there are a handful of solid waiver-wire pickups to plug into your roster for Week 10.

Here are some of the top options along with a few tempting ones that should actually be avoided.

Pick ‘em up

Karlos Williams: The rookie back came back from injury in Week Nine and lit up the Dolphins for 110 yards and two scores on nine carries — in a backup role. When healthy, Williams has been a legitimate starting option and has scored in every game he’s played. He’ll face a tough Jets front seven Thursday night, but is a strong FLEX option, especially if the oft-injured LeSean McCoy can’t suit up.MD

Kamar Aiken: Again, injuries open the door for some new faces to shine, and Aiken has that opportunity and then some. With Steve Smith done for the year with a torn Achilles, Aiken is the incumbent No. 1 receiver in Baltimore. He’s been solid, averaging about 80 yards per game during Smith’s short absence earlier in the season. He needs to be owned in all leagues.MD

Blake Bortles and Derek Carr: This pair of standout second-year play callers have quietly performed well thus far and have established themselves as viable options. Bortles has scored at least 22 fantasy points in three of his last four games and faces a pedestrian Baltimore defense Sunday. Leading an exciting, young offense in Oakland, Carr has exceeded 20 fantasy points in all but three starts this season and has thrown four picks. He has built a strong case to be even more than just a weekly fill-in.MD

Leave ‘em be

James White and Brandon Bolden: With Lewis out, the Patriots have about 12-to-15 touches up for grabs, and I have absolutely zero idea who will step into that role. Some experts are leaning toward second-year back James White to be the leading candidate, but they say that every time the Pats have an opening in the backfield, and White has 28 carries over the past two seasons. Bolden caught a TD on Sunday, which is what Lewis usually does, so I’m leaning toward him, but neither are worth starting. If only I could know who’s starting on Bill Belichick’s fantasy team.

Wes Welker: For some strange reason, the Rams signed the 34-year-old, often-concussed Welker to a one-year deal. This does not mean he’ll be at all fantasy relevant, so hold off on adding the ancient slot receiver until Nick Foles can actually connect on a short pass.

Defense of the week The Bengals defense will man-handle the Texans in primetime on Monday night.

?@joeyfigueroa3