Full strength Illinois men’s basketball ready to improve on defense

By Joey Figueroa, Staff writer

Even the most casual basketball fan knows that solid defense and success on the court go hand-in-hand. Some of the most overused coach speak is dependent on analyzing, praising and groaning about team defense.

Illinois men’s basketball head coach John Groce hasn’t had many opportunities to praise his team’s defense this season, so when the Illini held an opponent under 60 points for the first time — against UAB — it was the first thing he talked about.

“The thing I was most proud of was our defense,” Groce said following his team’s Nov. 23 win over UAB. “As we know, that’s something we needed to address through the first five games.”

Through seven games, the Illini are allowing 75.6 points per game, which is 222nd in the nation and is a full 10 points higher than the past three seasons under Groce. They surrendered more than 80 points to North Florida, Chatanooga and Iowa State — a feat just two opponents have accomplished over the past two seasons.

It’s a small sample size, but its safe to say Illinois’ defense has been bad, especially at defending the perimeter. Illinois has allowed 68 3-pointers thus far, putting them on pace to allow about 300 total threes by year’s end — on average, the Illini have allowed 221 threes per season under Groce.

Freshmen bright spots Jalen Coleman-Lands and Michael Finke have rightfully earned praise for their offensive contributions, but they haven’t brought the type of defensive stability that the more experienced players can provide.

That was apparent with the collective return of Jaylon Tate, Leron Black and Kendrick Nunn against UAB. At full strength for the first time this season, Illinois had its best defensive game and allowed just five made threes on 23 attempts.

“When (Nunn, Tate and Black) were freshmen, those were wide open looks for the other team,” Groce said. “They’re older and they’ve got some instincts within what we do defensively.”

Nunn had 18 points and two steals in his return, and could be a difference maker on both ends moving forward.

“It was tough sitting out watching our defense,” Nunn said.

With the return of the three much-needed players, Groce praised director of sports medicine Paul Schmidt’s job getting them all back on the court ahead of schedule. Groce also pointed out the level of grit that Nunn and Black play with which had been missing through the first five games.

“Both (Nunn) and Leron are kind of our DNA when it comes to the toughness part,” Groce said. “To have both those guys out there, from the toughness perspective, its a nastiness you need to have in these type of competitive environments.”

With made threes accounting for over 40 percent of Illinois opponents’ points, the Illini’s interior defense hasn’t been under the spotlight, but centers Mike Thorne Jr. and Maverick Morgan will be the first to say there’s still plenty of room for improvement. As the Illini’s last line of defense, the big man duo has grown close and use intense practices to challenge each other to improve.

“The best thing about (Morgan) is he pushes me in practice,” Thorne Jr. said. “He’s always trying to help me, because there are things that I might not be as advanced at as other guys, especially on the defensive end, like ball-screens. He’s always the guy on the sidelines pulling me aside talking to me. From a guy that plays the same position as you, that’s rare.”

With its depth chart at full health and team chemistry building, Illinois will look to put its rough start behind it against Notre Dame, because few things energize the State Farm Center like lock-down defense.

@joeyfigueroa3