Illinois wheelchair basketball teams produce mixed results in MLK weekend tournament

By Tommy Polcyn

After a long winter break, the Illini wheelchair basketball teams got back into action over the weekend in Wichita, Kansas. Both teams got in four games in the tournament, resulting in record of 3-1 for the women and 1-3 for the men.

The women played games against the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, the University of Alabama, and the University of Texas-Arlington. They picked up wins against all three teams, and split games with UTA.

Following the weekend’s games, the women possess an 8-6 record. After their 65-42 win over Alabama this weekend, the Illini have now beaten the defending national champion Crimson Tide three times this year.

After a dominant start to the season, Gail Gang has continued her torrid offensive pace. The senior forward put up 82 points through three games on the weekend (stats were only kept for the first three games for both the men and women), including a triple-double and a double-double.

Megan Blunk also stood out on the weekend, scoring 34 points in her first two games before her minutes were reduced in the third.

The men’s team did not share the same success on the weekend. They suffered losses to the University of Alabama, the University of Texas-Arlington, and the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater while picking up their lone win against Arizona State University.

Ryan Neiswender had another big weekend, collecting 37 points, 26 assists, and a double-double within the first three games.

After this tournament, the Illini will have a short break before resuming play January 29 at Auburn University.

@TPolc