Williams provides silver lining in Illinois basketball loss

Illinois’ D.J. Williams watches the action from the bench during the second half of the Illini’s 78-67 loss to Nebraska at State Farm Center on Saturday.

By Joey Figueroa, Staff writer

The Denver Broncos might have prevailed over the heavily-favored Carolina Panthers on Super Bowl Sunday, but a similar outcome didn’t come to fruition in Champaign.

The Illinois men’s basketball team suffered its eighth-conference loss of the season against No. 5 Iowa at State Farm Center Sunday afternoon. Although the Illini kept it relatively close throughout, they never felt like they were close to upsetting the Big Ten powerhouse Iowa. Illinois narrowed a 20-point deficit in the second half and freshman D.J. Williams was the surprise contributor that kept the game within reach.

The 6-foot-7 wing out of Simeon High School in Chicago put together the best game of his young collegiate career with a career-best eight points, four boards and a steal in 15 minutes. He tallied all of his points in the second half, and nabbed two offensive boards that each led to Illini second-chance buckets — they had six second-chance points for the game. Williams even displayed his comfort with the rock by pushing the ball up the floor after both of his defensive boards.

“One of the best things about coming off the bench is you get to evaluate what the game needs,” Williams said. “We needed more energy and more guys attacking the glass, so when my number was called, I knew my role. I just wanted to come in the game and bring as much energy as possible.”

Williams played 12 of his 15 minutes in the second half, and is 7-for-12 from the field over his past two contests. Head coach John Groce has recognized the freshman’s progress.

“He made a step in the right direction today,” Groce said. “He’s certainly very talented, there’s no question about it. Once he starts to put it all together, he’s going to be a very good player and he’s well on his way.”

Illini recruit Lucas injured

Sitting among a sea of purple and gold behind the basket at State Farm Center on Sunday, Illinois point guard recruit Te’Jon Lucas stood out for two reasons. For one, he was proudly decked out entirely in Illini orange and blue rather than the colors his Milwaukee Washington High peers surrounded him with. But Lucas also stuck out because of the crutches leaning next to his seat as he watched his future team fall to Iowa.

Before officially joining the program, Lucas caught the Illini’s injury bug — he has two fractures in his right foot and ankle and will likely miss the remainder of his high school season. The three-star recruit suffered the injury when he was intentionally fouled late in Saturday’s bout with Champaign-Centennial.

Lucas has been ticketed as Illinois’ future point guard, a position under much turmoil this season without Tracy Abrams. Not unfamiliar with injuries, Groce said he’ll handle the matter like he has been since joining Illinois.

“I’ve seen it all,” Groce said. “For whatever reason, it happened, and we’re going to be here for him and his family and move forward and figure it out. Good or bad news, we’ve got a lot of experience with these situations.”

Lucas should be healthy once the time comes for him to suit up for the Illini, but the news is less than ideal for a program with an ever-growing injury history.

@joeyfigueroa3