Illini men’s track keeps pace at Cyclone Classic

By Will Most

Tweet: @IlliniMTrack still struggle to find their groove before the Big Ten Championships. #Illini

The Illinois men’s track and field team got some strong individual performances in Ames, Iowa, this weekend, but couldn’t pull those together into a complete team result.

The Illini will host the Orange and Blue Open next weekend, but their trip to Iowa State was their last serious action of the indoor season. Many of Illinois’ top athletes will rest next week in preparation for the Big Ten Championships.

All-American Cam Viney took first place for the first time this season, running the 60-meter hurdles in 7.89 seconds. The Illini also had three top-five finishers in the 60 meters, Devin Quinn, Mo Maat and Cole Henderson, who finished third, fourth and fifth respectively.

Dylan Lafond broke the school record in the 5,000 meters, placing eighth in the race. It was his second school record of the winter — he broke Illinois’ record in the 3,000 meters in January.

Bryce Basting led the Illini contingent in the mile finishing ninth in 4:02. Both Basting and Jesse Reiser ran unattached — Reiser finished in 4:06.26, second best on the team — and Garrett Lee and Liam Markham ran for the Illini.

@Will_Most