Men’s golfer Danielson qualifies for first PGA event

By Ryan Wilson

Tweet: Langley gets introduced to the Charlie Danielson show

By Ryan Wilson

Staff writer

Scott Langley saw the Charlie Danielson show.

Illinois men’s Charlie Danielson won a $50,000 donation to the Illini and also a spot in his first professional golf event.

On Monday, Danielson, teamed with Illinois alum Langley, shot a 3-undar par in the Northern Trust Collegiate Showcase, qualifying the current Illini for the Northern Trust Open.

“This was one of the cooler events I’ve played in since I’ve been in college,” Danielson, who ranks in the top 25 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking. “It’s a testament to all of our hard work.”

He will compete today at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, California, against such names at Dustin Johnson, a two-time runner-up for the tournament, Rory McIlroy and Bubba Watson

Langley, who won the NCAA individual title in 2010, took to Twitter to congratulate his teammate in the showcase.

“Really enjoyed the day at the Northern Trust Open Collegiate Showcase,” Langley tweeted. “Go a front row seat to the @charliegolf24 (Danielson) show, nice playing, pal.”

Ben Hogan Award Watch List

Danielson, Thomas Detry and Nick Hardy were named as candidates for the 2016 Ben Hogan Award.

This is Detry’s third, Danielson’s second and Hardy’s first time on the list.

Illinois had the most honorees on the 25-member list. It is also the school’s seventh-consecutive time with a golfer on the list — the third-longest active streak behind Stanford (11 years) and Alabama (nine years).

The Ben Hogan Award is arguably one of the most prestigious men’s college golf awards in the nation, and it’s voted on by a committee of “leaders” in professional, amateur and collegiate golf.

Ten semifinalists, which could include golfers not on the list, will be announced April 13. The three finalists will be announced May 3 and the finalists on May 23.

@32Ryno